Vincetoxicum

• 3 Replies

John

Vincetoxicum
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:54:35 AM »
I saw a friend of mine on Saturday who looks after a National Collection under a scheme set up by Plant Heritage (the National Council for the conservation of Plants & Gardens). He is planning a new collection of Vincetoxicum which is a genus of the Mediterranean and similar climates. I thought that it wouldn't do any harm to ask if it is possible for anyone to collect a small amount of seed, enough to grow a few specimens and send them to me. I would very much like information with these of the location even if it is "just south of Barcelona" though longitude and latitude would be best.
here's a picture of V. nigrum (not a great picture) taken on our trip to Catalonia last May. It was near Romanya de la Selva where we where taken by Chris Whitty.
Thanks
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 09:42:30 AM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Vincetoxicum
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:05:22 AM »
(But don't send the seeds to Australia or to the US, where these Europeans are considered invasive weeds ;) )
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 10:31:26 AM »
Alisdair is my request acceptable on the forum? I suppose I would have found out anyway with the moderators on patrol.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:35:47 AM »
Yes of course it's acceptable! This is just the sort of thing that the notice-board is for. Thanks for putting this on, and I hope it yields some results for your friend's collection.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society