Wisteria--unusual flowering pattern

• 10 Replies

Cali

Wisteria--unusual flowering pattern
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:16:30 AM »
This year the leaves came out at the same time as the flowers opened on all three of my thirty-plus-year-old wisterias (each with a different orienation). Normally the leaves don't show themselves till at least two weeks after flowering. To my knowledge this has never happened before and I'm curious about the cause... hoping it's a one-off event since the effect of the flowers is totally ruined.
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

Ina

• Email
Re: Wisteria--unusual flowering pattern
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:09:59 PM »
i have also a wisteria growing in my neighborhood so i will go and have a look. i passed a few days ago and i remember it having flowers but i am not so sure about the leaves...
i remeber seeing some Cercis siliquastrum having both flowers and leaves a few days ago and i found it weird...
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

pamela

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »
I have seen this here in Spain quite often.  You are right the first effect of bloom is diminished somewhat but they are still lovely...... at least in my eyes.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 08:25:30 PM »
Cali this type of effect usually happens when there is an a bout of unusual weather.....too cold, too hot, too dry etc for the time of year.  Flowering in the autumn following a mild autumn is often reported.  I`m not sure how long it takes from flower or leaf bud initiation in the meristem to emergence but clearly in the case of your Wisteria, the two caught each other up!

I assume you had a cold period this spring which probably delayed flowering (since they were initiated earlier than the leaves) but the cold weather did not delay the emergence of leaves.

Do we have a plant physiologist who could be more exact?
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Cali

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 06:59:14 AM »
David, that makes sense, except I think it could be the other way round. We have had an unusually warm late March-early April. The flowering of the wisteria was at exactly the same time as every year. Maybe the unseasonal warmth made the leaves come out earlier than usual... is that possible?
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 10:03:27 AM »
Cali did you not have a cold period in Jan or February?  We did.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:49:52 PM »
Down here in the extreme south of Greece - rather different from Cali's normal weather patterns - people's wisterias are flowering and in leaf, together, at the moment.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Cali

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »
David, we did have a cold period in January and February, but that is pretty normal. What was unusual was the warmer weather in March.
Alisdair, it seems to be true of most of the islad here, except the North, where the wisteria flowered normally, with the leaves coming out a couple of weeks later.
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President

Ina

• Email
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 05:57:38 PM »
I had a look at some wisterias near here and they also have flowers and leaves. the weather here is more similar to corfu. it could be due the very warm days we had for around 2 weeks...
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

anita

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 01:31:13 PM »
Hi Cali, I've gone back over my garden diary for a few years to check my notes and it seems from my observations in Southern Australia that if we get a warm spell while the Wisteria is about to flower the leaf development seems to be accelerated, resulting in the leeaves with flowers pattern you've experienced. I've also noted that my Wisteria which is a floribunda type seems to flower better after 'colder' winters - that is by our standards - maybe a couple of nights were it drops down to 1 or 2 deg. C. Those colder nights seem to help bud initiation... There are many more racemes in those years.
Also a note from my diary that's worth sharing... If you can get hold of the floribunda types they are worth seeking out. The longer racemes are much more spectacular. Anita
Dry mediterranean climate, avg annual rainfall 530mm, little or no frost. Winter minimum 1C, summer max 45C

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 08:34:13 PM »
Cali,  I`m still trying to find a reasonable answer to your Wisteria phenomenon and have been doing some research on the internet. 

The time from flower bud initiation (FBI) to flowering varies for each plant species. For example Arabis (bittercress), probably the most researched plant species, takes about 13 days while Annona, custard apple, takes 33days. A Japanese reference said that FBI to flowering for Wisteria takes between half and one month.

Therefore, and this is a big jump, if Wisteria flowering usually occurs about April 1st (to keep it easy) we can assume that the FBI was made early to mid March.

For arguments sake, let`s say that LBI (leaf) takes the same time but some two weeks later then we can plot a time-line for your situation.

Thus FBI commenced early to mid March and proceeded normally until the warm period at the end of March/April with flowers emerging on April 14th. However LBI started two weeks later on April1st in the middle of the warm spell with emergence on April 14th, the same time as the flowers.

I wonder??? Hope it makes sense.
MGS member.