Clematis

• 5 Replies

Daisy

Clematis
« on: December 28, 2011, 08:50:49 AM »
This clematis grows in profusion in my neighbourhood.
It looks to me to be Clematis cirrhosa.
It started to bloom in October, and is still going strong.
Here it is yesterday.
Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Clematis
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 09:35:01 AM »
Yes, that's C. cirrhosa Daisy: lovely pictures, I can almost smell the flowers!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Miriam

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:29:28 PM »
Wonderful!
Here it is also in bloom in many places.
I took some cutting to plant in my garden.
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Pescalune

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 06:06:48 PM »
A good friend of mine in Mallorca has just sent me some lovely pictures of a special sub species of Clematis cirrhosa that grows wild in the Balearics. It's called Clematis cirrhosa subsp balearica. It is characterised by shades of pink in the flower and some petals are spotted.
I wish I could grow this native of the islands in my garden near Montpellier, next to the one Olivier Filippi gave me a few years ago and which is now also in bloom.
Here are two of Marianne's pictures:

Pescalune

Rosie

• Gardening in Portugal
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 08:37:01 PM »
http://www.gardeninginportugal.com/?page_id=116

Hi there, enjoyed the posting about clematis. Wonderful plants for the winter and absolutely no water needed during the summer months. The link above is to an article written by the UK National Plant Collection Holder, Mr Mike Brown. He came to Portugal to talk to us about clematis for mediterranean gardens and there is some good advice here for anyone wanting to experiment with these lovely climbers.

This is Clematis cirrhosa 'Landesdowne Gem' 

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:02 PM »
v. interesting Rosie - thanks
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England