Roses

• 200 Replies

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Roses
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
Yes, a garden in Uzes. It was only 2 years old when the pics were taken.  The amount of growth is nevertheless amazing.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Daisy

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 09:17:35 AM »
A lot of roses stop flowering, or the blooms diminish in size during the heat of the summer.
I have a small garden, so I only grow a few roses. Of those, the ones which seem to be unaffected by the heat are;

Abraham Darby. No difference in the size of the flower at all.

Teasing Georgia. This rose never takes a break in the summer.

Blush Noisette. Always producing fresh panicles of blooms.

Perdita. Another rose that always looks fresh.

William Shakespeare 2000. He is happy, as long as he is in the shade.

Aimee Vibert. This year she started flowering in May and shows no signs of stopping.

Marechal Niel. He is not flowering as much as in spring, but a rough count gave me over 50 blooms this week.

Lady Emma Hamilton. This rose blooms all winter as well as all summer!

Buff Beauty. Another one that just keeps on producing loads of blooms.

Daisy :)

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alice

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 10:32:27 AM »
Talking of envy, Daisy...! Positively salivating!
Gorgeous!!!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 01:07:06 PM »
Wonderful sight, Daisy - I can almost smell them, and you grow them looking so fresh and dewy-looking, so amazingly refreshing considering where you are.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 05:36:30 PM »
Which rose supplier(s) do those of you in Greece use?
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Daisy

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 09:42:46 AM »
Alice. most of my roses have come from Peter Beales in Norfolk.

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/

The remainder are from David Austin.

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

JTh

• Email
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 10:00:59 AM »
I have a few roses in Halkidiki, and to my big surprise they are easy to grow (compared to Norway), and I have had no problems with diseases or pests. They are readily available both at the weekly market and from the local nurseries, but they are seldom named, so buying them is a lottery.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2012, 03:28:56 PM »
Alice, All the roses we have taken to SW France, and one of the two we have taken to Greece, also come from Peter Beales, or from cuttings taken from plants originally from there.
At the last three Chelsea shows a Peter Beales rose I have admired hugely, but not yet yielded to the temptation of buying, is the very dark and velvety Souvenir du Docteur Jamain (see my cellphone snapshot below), which has a delicious fragrance. I don't think it's worth even trying in Greece, as it's said to hate even indirect sun and to need a good rich soil - does anyone grow this old hybrid perpetual in a mediterranean climate?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 03:51:32 PM »
Alisdair, that one looks like it could go on my envy list. And your cell phone did a pretty good job!
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alice

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 07:32:37 PM »
What a beauty Souvenir du Docteur Jamain is, Alisdair!
Daisy and Alisdair, did you have your roses sent to Greece by Peter Beales/ David Austin? Did they arrive quickly and in a good state?
Here are three roses we bought locally: a bicoloured one (Double Delight?), one that changes colour as the buds open (red/yellow) and a red one. The blooms of all three fare well under fierce sunlight. Unfortunately nurseries here label roses only as "red, scented", "yellow, tall" etc.

pamela

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2012, 07:41:37 AM »
I had two bareroot roses sent to Spain from Peter Beales in March.  They arrived in good condition and I planted them immediately. They do say, however that you should not leave them languishing in a post box or post office. You need to be around to collect them. Mine are looking good now and one Rosa brunonii ' La Mortola' has put on excellent growth over the summer. The other R. moschata 'Princesse de Nassau' is a bit slower but is climbing well through a Bouganvillea.  I will be getting some more of these ramblers as my R. Félicité et Perpétue has done amazingly well.

Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2012, 09:18:10 AM »
I collected ours from P Beales in containers, either then drove them out to France, or rooted cuttings in UK and bare-rooted to Greece - so not much guidance from me I'm afraid, Pamela!
Alisdair Aird

Daisy

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2012, 08:00:25 AM »
All of my roses, have been sent bare root from either Peter Beales or David Austin.
They have all arrived in good condition except one which was replaced by Peter Beales without any quibbles.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 08:38:13 AM »
How long time does it take from ordering until  you receive the roses?

Alice

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 09:18:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experiences, Pamela, Alisdair, JTh and Daisy.