Roses

• 200 Replies

John J

Re: Roses
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2019, 12:03:14 PM »
Another of our Avramis' roses, Andreanna's Parfum, giving a repeat performance.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Charithea

« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2019, 07:35:19 PM »
Here are three photos of our Pierre De Ronsard.  It was on its last legs last summer but the winter rain has revived.  It has a record 9 rose buds on it and it is beginning to stretch out its branches.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:05:21 AM by Alisdair »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #167 on: May 31, 2019, 02:36:58 PM »
It's looking beautiful, Charitea. I do love this rose. Mine did OK last year but this February, a stand-in gardener cut it down to the ground (my normal gardener knows not to prune it) --  on the one day I had to go to the dentist and wasn't at home to supervise...  :-[   Gutted.
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Charithea

« Reply #168 on: May 31, 2019, 04:12:44 PM »
Pallas, this rose is tough. The roses stay open for more than  a week. I am sorry yours was 'pruned' so hard. I was adviced  by some of the Australians while we were attending tha AGM in Spain to prun it hard to help it grow strong. I decided to leave it for another year and I am glad I did. The rain did the job for me. Hopefully yours will grow strong and produce lots of roses.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2019, 01:38:15 PM »
Many thanks for passing on the Australians' pruning advice, Charitea, it makes me a lot more hopeful! It does seem like this rose takes a few years to get its feet under the table, so I am just watering, feeding and cooing at it and hopefully it will take off. My flowers also last well, and they are so beautiful.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 01:01:23 PM by Pallas »
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Charithea

« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2019, 12:29:11 PM »
Pallas, we all need to cultivate patience.  I wish you well with your rose.  Here are 3 photos of our Rosa moschata which  took years to mature and produce flowers.  I cropped the photos but left lots of foliage to convey how well it spread after the winter rain.  Unfortunately the last of the 3 Rosa moschata plena  which showed promise, died.  They are beautiful flowers with wonderful perfume that my mother's generation grew.  We have been unsuccessful to keep them alive for more than a year.  The 'hunt' is on again for a mature hardy specimen.

Hilary

« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2019, 06:13:39 AM »
Rosa ‘New Dawn’

A climbing Rose growing in a Friend's garden in Loutraki. It seems I take photos of it in May quite often. Here are a couple of photos from 2012 and a couple from this year, 2019.

I didn't know if this rose was considered to be suitable for the Mediterranean climate but came across a reference to it by Heidi Gildemeister in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 94, October 2018.
Read
A NATIVE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN where ‘New Dawn’ dawn blooms with abandon
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Charithea

« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2019, 12:52:59 PM »
Wow! What lovely roses. Do they have perfume?

Hilary

« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2019, 06:33:56 AM »
Not much scent at all
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #174 on: June 12, 2019, 09:27:45 AM »
As I mentioned in another thread, last year I took a cutting from some dumped trimmings of a rambling rose. I had no idea what flower it might have but this year I have a few flowers. They are about an inch across.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #175 on: June 12, 2019, 10:57:52 AM »
Well done David.  It looks lovely. I bemoaned the loss of my Rosa moschata plena but last night at our choir  I was promised another. So here is to having friends.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #176 on: November 22, 2019, 03:11:17 PM »
Yesterday we had catastrophic weather conditions with the hottest November day in over a hundred years. There were fires around Victoria but fortunately not nearby!
I took these pics of the Rosa multiflora and managed to capture the strange coloured sky in the background. It was caused by the amount of dust raised by the hot dry winds!
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #177 on: November 23, 2019, 07:36:58 AM »
Amazing second photo Fermi - almost surreal. So glad the fires are not close to you.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #178 on: November 25, 2019, 10:41:28 AM »
... So glad the fires are not close to you.
So are we!
Here are three roses that were already in the garden when we came here.
The first is a single pale pink rambler without a name.
The second I think is 'Albertine'.
The third is an unnamed multiflora type with small, dark pink flowers,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

« Reply #179 on: November 25, 2019, 11:46:11 AM »
Hi Fermi.  We were also worried about the fires. I HATE the sound of helicopters  flying around here. It signals that there is/are fires somewhere.  Our island is not that big and when the fires start they really burn quickly and the mountain sides look so forlorn. During the last few weeks  I have been emailing daily my nephew, who lives just outside Sydney, but he has assured me that they were safe.
I love the Rosa  multiflora. Our rambler is now full of buds and so are the rose bushes from Nortern Greece.  They have settled down to our seasons.