Roses

• 200 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Roses
« Reply #150 on: May 31, 2018, 11:22:04 AM »
David, Albéric Barbier fades to a definitely creamy white rather than a pure dead white. Hard for a photo to show, but yours looks almost pure white. Here's one I took a few minutes ago for comparison.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Charithea

« Reply #151 on: June 03, 2018, 09:53:57 AM »
Pallas, I was away when my Pierre de Ronsard opened but I took a picture when it was fading.  I am hopeful! The last few days it has been putting out two new shoots so maybe this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:19:35 AM by Alisdair »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2018, 10:30:47 PM »
As I said in an earlier posting I took over a garden which contained very little other than 5 roses. Each of these was in the strangest position and I needed to move 3  of them. One I moved early spring this year has sent up a new shoot and that has given me two flowers. The  first opened while I was away and had already faded by the time the second opened. The previous owner obviously liked pink. 3 out of the 5 have now flowered resulting in 3 pink and  1 yellow. The last rose was moved about a month ago. It still looks alive but isn't doing anything yet. Will it be another pink?
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2018, 05:46:05 AM »
What a pretty delicate pink rose David.  Thirty minutes in our strong sunlight and it will look white.  I am posting two photos. One of Rosa moschata  and a Rosa moschata plena.  The first one is from our rose bush which has really settled down to producing lots of roses.  Both of our 'plena' have died but the photo here is from a acquaintance of mine through the village improvement group.  I was invited to see her highly perfumed roses but what caught my eye was this strong rumbling bush full of flowers.  It has came from northen Cyprus, from her village, and she now wants to get rid of it because it looks untidy. She planted a Stephanotis next to it as a replacement.  I of course volunteered to house the rose bush and advised her before attempting to dig it out to take several cutting to ensure it survival. There is only one other place where a Rose moschata plena can be bought and that is at the Kikko Monastery Nursery in Nicosia.  A lady that lives up the mountain propagates them and then sells them there.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2018, 03:05:18 PM »
It's rose time in our garden! I have to admit that though many don't get watered (or pruned regularly :o ) the ones that do best get a bit of water through the summer.
Here are a few:
1) a rose arch made by the understock (?Rosa multiflora) from a standard rose that died - I quite like the simplicity of the single flowers so have yet to remove it!
2) close up of the flowers;
3) A wrought iron "rose pillar" planted with Rosa 'Papa Delbard' and Clematis 'Romantika';
4) close up of Clematis 'Romantika' & Rosa 'Papa Delbard'
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2018, 07:41:08 AM »
I have a 'Love/Hate relationship with roses.....love the perfume of some I inherited when we moved house but hate the problems associated with them - blackspot, mildew.....and tackling the pruning. I have a real weakness for Clematis however and love the  colour of Romantika - especially combined with the rose in your 'photos. Don't remove the white one-  it is glorious in its simplicity!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2018, 10:11:32 AM »
Hi Carole,
the understock rose is safe for a while! The scent at the moment is wonderful but after it finishes it gets quite rambunctious and really needs to be tamed.
Under a tree in the paddock a long time ago a rose came up which I presume is a seedling from either 'Albertine' or 'Bloomfield Abundance' with flowers half way between with a fresh tea scent. The tree is now gone and the rose has bushed out,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2018, 11:47:16 AM »
That's a very pretty seedling - the foliage looks splendidly healthy, too
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2018, 10:14:55 AM »
David Dickinson's project of showing rose cultivars which do well in the Rome Rose Garden, and should be perfect for other mediterranean gardens, has been split off as a separate topic, which you can see by clicking here. Thanks, David!
Alisdair Aird

Charithea

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2019, 03:27:20 PM »
With the wonderful rain we had and the sunny days in between the roses are starting to recover and some are already flowering. I have taken some photos for posting.  One of the Banskia lutea with the buds on is many years old. It is  growing  slowly and has been flowing the last few years. The white rose is' name unknown 'although when we bought it it said White banksia.  The blooms are much bigger then the normal white banksie and has lovely perfume and thorns.  Finally the  Rosa mutabilis full of flowers.

John J

« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2019, 11:49:29 AM »
Another of our roses that has opened. This one is labelled 'Andreanna's Parfum'.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

An unnamed apricot rose from Avramis Roses
« Reply #161 on: April 27, 2019, 09:21:56 AM »
Opening now, a rose we got from Avramis Roses in Greece. Unfortunately we seem to have mislaid the label!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

Re: An unnamed apricot rose from Avramis Roses
« Reply #162 on: April 27, 2019, 11:31:30 AM »
Beautiful anonymous rose
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:27:43 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2019, 05:49:08 PM »
Rosa banksiae, Lady Bank’s Rose, Bank’s Rose

I recently joined a group of members of  THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN SOCIETY  visiting   Pyrgos Vasilissis, The Queen's Tower, in Athens. This farm, vineyard, stables, olive groves is now surrounded by suburban Athens, but used to be out in the country when King Othon and Queen Amelia were King and Queen of Greece back in the 1830s to 1860s. 

It was a dull and rainy day, not conducive for taking photos.

The estate is interesting and the guided tour gave us an insight into the kind of life Queen Amelia lived in the few years she and her husband were King and Queen of Greece.
The guided tour included entrance to the Pyrgos, tower, followed by a wine tasting.

There was a Banksia rose  climbing over a metal pergola leading to the water cistern and the one I snapped  climbing on one of the outhouses. 
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2019, 06:14:38 AM »
Our rose is no longer anonymous as Charithea has found the label. It's 'Gaitee Fleurie' and below is what the 2 flowers look like today.