Roses

• 200 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Roses
« Reply #135 on: May 20, 2018, 08:08:57 AM »
Yes Hilary much more acceptable! Sorry - didn't mean to offend you!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »
I wasn't offended
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

JTh

• Email
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2018, 09:54:31 AM »
I have a few roses in Greece, but none of them have a name. They are bought from the local market and  are just called 'rose'.

I am normally not so fond of  orange flowers, but there are a few exceptions, this one is not pure orange, but starts with peach-coloured buds, then goes more orange and ends as peachy-rose. Lovely scent.  Does anybody have an idea what it may be?

All my roses are suffering from leaf-eating bugs and some nasty fungus producing large, black spots. I finally managed to spray with an anti-fungus mix; we have had no rain for nearly three months, but it started raining a few hours after the treatment.  Hopefully there are still a few leaves left when we return in the summer.

IMG_20180501_151932-2.jpg Peach-coloured rose
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

P5029718-Edit.jpg Peach-coloured rose

P5029719.jpg Peach-coloured rose

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:21:56 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Charithea

« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2018, 10:36:08 AM »
Hello Hilary.  We saw so MANY roses on this trip . Amazing blooms.  I, however, will not buy any because they will perish in this heat.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2018, 03:15:12 PM »
You will have noticed that non of the rose bushes are actually mine!
I did have one i a pot a few years ago but it gave up the ghost
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2018, 11:39:04 PM »
When I read that the group visiting Italy had seen over a 1,000 varieties of Rose I assumed that they had been to the  Rome Rose Garden. It is laid out very formally. Really a scientific exhibition of living roses, as can be seen from the photos in this local English-language newspaper. It is only open to the public for a couple of months and at this time of year. www.wantedinrome.com/whatson/romes-rose-garden-2018.html
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #141 on: May 22, 2018, 05:56:54 AM »
Jorun, we have the same problem here with rose identification. Most roses are imported from places like Holland and are not prepared for our heat, but we found one centre that brings them in from a grower in Greece. Avramis Roses in Giannitsa, somewhere in the Thessaloniki area, www.avramis.gr.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: May 22, 2018, 07:38:06 AM »
Thanks for that, John; looks a big operation. I'll add them to the suppliers list the next time we update it, as they do mail order (bare root, November to April) to other countries than just Greece - mainly Italy and Cyprus, they say.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2018, 06:27:41 AM »
We have suffered the same problem in Italy regarding the specific names of roses but the situation is much improved now with many nurseries stocking David Austin roses. In my early years here it was mainly ' Red Rose' or ' Yellow Rose'  Many magnificent old specimens can be seen and the 'Red Rose' in particular has a wonderful perfume. I was lucky to inherit two old climbing varieties when we moved house , photographs of which I posted on the Forum several years ago hoping for identification but unfortunately with no luck. I continue to enjoy their perfume however and have added a  Zephirin Drouhin.
Unfortunately this year the prevailing stormy weather has spoiled their magnificent display. A large section of the red rose fell from its support and the abundant flowers on all three have been reduced to soggy balls in the main.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2018, 09:11:24 AM »
The MGS excursion to Umbria that we have just returned from visited the David Austin rose nursery. Below are just a few examples of what was on offer.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #145 on: May 29, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »
First of all, David, a very belated thank you for the info on the wood ash. I am sorry I didn't notice it until today; somehow I stopped receiving notifications from this thread.

Swooning at the photos of all the gorgeous roses!

My Mme Alfred Carričre has finally settled in and is gearing up for an ample second flush of flower, Mme Pierre Oger did well: 6 blooms in her first year! Lady Emma is good but not (yet) brilliant and Pierre de Ronsard has, shall we call it 'further room for improvement' (I don't want to discourage him!).  I will go find the photos and post some.

Personally, I find that names of rose varieties (and of plants in general, also irises, hemerocallis, tulips etc) do  evoke strong reactions from me. I've often admired the pink rose 'Sexy Rexy' but just cannot bring myself to buy it with that name. I am obviously very impressionable!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:42:14 AM by Pallas »
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #146 on: May 29, 2018, 02:31:59 PM »
Here are some photos:

1.  Mme Alfred Carričre
2.  Lady Emma Hamilton
3.  Pierre de Ronsard
4.  Cut roses: from top left Pierre de Ronsard (darker pink), Lady Emma Hamilton (peach/apricot), Mme Pierre Oger (very cup-shaped, lighter pink).

Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2018, 12:41:31 AM »
I took a cutting from a rambling rose a couple of years ago. The closed buds are a kind of nice cream colour but when the flowers open out they are pure white. The pink rose I posted a photo of a couple of weeks ago has given me more flowers.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Caroline

« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2018, 08:20:10 AM »
The cream/white one looks like "Albéric Barbier" - a very tough rambler which grows semi-wild in parts of NZ.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2018, 09:38:31 AM »
Thanks Caroline. Like all the roses I have in my small garden, none of them have a variety name. I'll look "Albéric Barbier" up. The parent plant is indeed a tough rambler covering the whole of the front fence of a nearby house and reaching out into the street trees in front of it. Covered in flowers in  spring. The parent plant flowered slightly earlier than my cutting but both have now finished flowering.