Roses

• 200 Replies

Pallas

• Email
Re: Roses
« Reply #120 on: May 02, 2018, 10:48:13 AM »
I cannot help with rose identification, David, but thank you for the photos, they are lovely, a nice 'inheritance'! May I ask what sort of ash you used? Just wood ash from the fireplace?

There is something deeply satisfying about growing plants obtained, shall we say, unusually. I love your story about the nunnery, Charitea! Not as evocative, but I have some plants which I have grown on from pruned branches and potted plants left out by the rubbish bins. January is a good time for poinsettias! Last spring some mystery hippeastrums which had finished flowering were being sold for 50 cents a pop -- I bought half a dozen and 4 are now flowering: two creamy whites, a white white, and a white and pink.

Sorry, that was a bit off-topic...

I will post when I have photos of all the roses' flowers.
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Hilary

« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2018, 04:03:24 PM »
Roses in Caceres, Spain.
My daughter sent me these photos of roses she saw in a park in Caceres, I thought I would share them with you.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Daisy

« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
I love the over the top frilly pink one.
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2018, 09:12:54 PM »
Hi Pallas,

Sorry for the long delay in replying. It came back to me that I had to reply while looking at the fabulous photos posted by Hilary. It was just ash from burning the garden rubbish last autumn. The soil is so poor where the rose is that I suppose it was happy to receive anything. 

I was working in the garden today and got round to digging up the rose I mentioned in my earlier post. I have no idea if it will survive being transplanted at this time of year. It is, or rather was, completely covered by an oleander bush. I dug it out and put it in a pot until I can think where to put it. I took a photo of it 2 years ago when I first moved in but I can't find it. If I remember correctly, it was a darker pink than either of the two I posted last time. It was already in a bad way and then it got completely overshadowed so no flowers this year.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2018, 06:43:51 AM »
I transplanted a rose recently out of necessity. It had buds at the time and I knew I was taking a risk of loosing it.  I thought of pruning it down to relieve the stress but could not bring myself to do it. Although not in a position in full sun all day, the longest stems and those with buds looked very limp during the warmest hours of the day for quite some time. I obviously kept it well watered and now, about 3/4 weeks on, it is flowering and looking completely at home. I am sure yours, with some TLC David will survive.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:44:49 AM by Fleur Pavlidis »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2018, 09:53:22 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement Umbrian. Let's hope I can post some pics in the future. But I doubt it will be this year as I did cut mine back. Let's see.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2018, 07:37:24 PM »
Hi Hilary and the rest of the readers.  The roses look wonderful. We have just returned from a garden visit in Trigoria near Rome. There were over a thousand varieties of them. It sounds unbelievable but true. I will try to post some photos when we return home.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2018, 06:24:21 AM »
You were lucky with your timing of that visit Charithea as the prevailing stormy weather, with torrential rain here in  Central Italy,  has caused havoc with my roses.  Look forward to seeing some photos later.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Hilary

« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2018, 07:57:38 AM »
Rosa floribunda, Sexy Rexy
Seen in the Rose Garden at Schinos on the other side of  the  Gerania mountain range, Greece.
If you click on http://www.cfhdf.gr/rosegardenEN.php you can learn all about this garden.
Hilary
24th December 2010

An e mail I sent to my friends in 2010.
I think you might like the photo
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:46:56 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #129 on: May 17, 2018, 06:18:51 AM »
Another old email.
Unfortunately the rose bush was too enthusiastically pruned and didn't survive the experience

Rosa, orange
This rose grows in the yard of an empty house down the street , three houses  from the sea.
All summer long it produces these beautiful orange flowers.
The fresh leaves are a dark red colour
Hilary
25th November 2010
MGS member

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2018, 07:43:38 AM »
Alisdair's updated your Rose Garden link, Hilary. What a horrible name for a lovely rose, by the way.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:48:21 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Hilary

« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2018, 05:58:23 AM »
One more email sent to my friends in 2011

Rosa = Rose
Another rose for your collection.
Seen at the Rose Garden, Schinos.
Hilary
13th March 2011
MGS member

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #132 on: May 19, 2018, 06:19:44 AM »
Ugh!

Hilary

« Reply #133 on: May 19, 2018, 07:56:08 AM »
maybe you like this one better
Another old e mail

Rosa, Papagiovanni XX111
Another rose seen in The Rose Garden  at Schinos.
We were there with the Mediterranean Garden Society in May 2008
Hilary
4th January 2011
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #134 on: May 19, 2018, 08:15:39 AM »
In 2001 went with a busload of women on an afternoon visit to the Rose Garden.
We were taken round by a guide who explained about the historical collection and how rose water is made at the garden.
Then I took many photos of the group.
Afterwards we went to Schinos for coffee
The photos were taken before digital camera times
MGS member