Roses

• 200 Replies

Trevor Australis

Re: Roses
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2014, 10:23:17 AM »
Thorns? Manner of growth - upright, sprawling? Once flowering? Repeat flowering? Two flowering seasons? It looks like LA REINE but more detail is needed for a more positive ID.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2014, 06:58:01 PM »
Perhaps 'Reine Victoria'?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »
It seems that we have had heat waves one after another here.
It is too hot to do anything. No deadheading, no weeding, no trimming back. Just sweeping the paths is too much at present.
All I am doing in the garden now, is the fortnightly watering and mealy bug squishing.
I did get out with the camera once or twice. The roses don't seem to mind the heat at all.
Here are a few August blooms.

aug2014 110 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Unknown HT from the local market.

aug2014 106 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
The New Dawn in the apricot tree.

aug2014 108 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Munstead Wood

aug2014 105 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Perdita

aug2014 107 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
A faded bloom of William Shakespeare 2000

aug2014 097 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Teasing Georgia

aug2014 081 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Madam Alfred Carriere high up in the black plum tree.

aug2014 096 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Unknown rose.

aug2014 080 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Gruss an Aachen, with powdery mildew.

aug2014 082 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
unknown rose

aug2014 063 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Buff Beauty

aug2014 092 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Durance Ancian Rosa

aug2014 077 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Aimee Vibert

aug2014 078 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Unknown rose

aug2014 076 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Colombian Climber

aug2014 070 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Marechal Niel

aug2014 074 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Blush Noisette

aug2014 026 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Lady Emma Hamilton

aug2014 016 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
Golden Celebration

Daisy :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:01:47 AM by Daisy »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Charithea

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2014, 12:36:35 PM »
Daisy what a beautiful array of roses!!
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Caroline

« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2014, 12:21:24 AM »
While the northern hemisphere is starting to shiver, things are warming up downunder! We have had a wetter spring than usual, with the result that the roses at the end of the vine rows are flowering their hearts out.  This is "Iceberg" at the top of the number two vineyard.  The bushes are never watered or fertilised; they get a light prune in winter and the odd bit of fungicide drift when the vines are sprayed. They're tough!
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2014, 07:16:40 AM »
Wow! What a wonderful picture - the choice of Iceberg roses was inspired as they do not detract from the natural beauty you have around you  - anything brighter would have spoiled that but Iceberg really puts the "Icing on the cake"  :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2014, 12:14:08 AM »
Daisy - Aug 14 092 pic might be LA FRANCE or TRIOMPH de la EXHIBITION (I'll  need to check that one and the spelling too.) t

Trevor Australis

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2014, 12:15:54 AM »
Let's try that again - TRIUMPHE de la EXPOSITION

t

Daisy

« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »
Thanks Trevor, but my rose doesn't look like Triomphe de l'Exposition on Help me Find. My rose is definitely pink, not carmine. It has clusters of small roses, which have a very strong perfume.

Caroline, I agree with Umbrian. That row of Iceberg, looks really good there.
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Daisy

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2014, 09:03:58 AM »
Trevor, it turns out that the pink, cluster flowered rose in my photos is Durance Ancian Rosa, (Masduran). It was bred by Dominique Massad. Here it is on HMF. http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.61640.1
It certainly has a powerful, sweet perfume.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2015, 01:40:21 AM »
Before my mum died last year, a friend of hers grew some roses from cuttings from her garden.
My sister-in-law distributed some of the plants amongst the family at Christmas and I received one that looks like 'Cecile Brunner' and another that is pale salmon-pink in bud and opens to a single "off-white" flower about 3" across.
I'd like to think that it's identifiable and may possibly be an Alister Clark raising.
Any help would be appreciated,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Daisy

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2015, 09:25:06 AM »
That is a lovely rose Fermi. It does look familiar, but I cannot place it.
It might be an idea to also post the photos on the Antique Rose Forum on the Gardenweb http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/rosesant/ There are a lot of knowledgeable people on there.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2015, 08:11:43 AM »
Fermi can you give any further information, esp about the size of the thing when mature. Take a good look at the sexual bits and note the pistil. Is it long an exerted - poking out noticeably? What about the stamens; are they spreading and open leaving the pistil exposed and the undeveloped capsule plainly visible. It looks like it could be a Rosa gigantea hybrid. This is a member of the Synstylae group of roses which relates to the identifying features I have asked about. If it is a Gigantea it could well be an Alister Clark hybrid; in which case I'll be able to suggest the name for you.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2015, 09:13:14 AM »
Hi Fermi,  your mother's rose is almost certainly MRS RICHARD TURNBULL (Alister Clark, 1945) Emily Isobel were her given names. Her husband owned TAMBO Station about 700 km from Brisbane but also had town mansions in Sydney (REDLEAF, Double Bay) and Melbourne (demolished, Toorak). They were well known race-horse owners and breeders. He was Chairman of Victorian Racing Club for a very long term and also chairman of Flemington racing Club. She died in 1948. Her two sons both killed in WW 2. Her daughter married in England.  The rose is Rosa gigantea x unknown.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2015, 08:09:56 AM »
Thanks, Trevor,
appropriate that they were  race-horse owners as my brother is the doctor for the Kilmore Races - I'll let my sister-in-law know.
I'll have to find an appropriate place for the rose now,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!