Roses

• 200 Replies

Trevor Australis

Re: Roses
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2015, 11:48:14 PM »
Fermi, I hope you have a BIG garden with a BIG tree for the rose to grow on. I knew one MRS R TURNBULL growing at Badger's Keep nr Chewton that topped a very old and tall Robinia (False Acacia) tree. It was huge but looked amazing when covered in thousands of creamy white 'butterflies'.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2015, 06:45:08 PM »
I have a few roses I would very much like to identify, they were bought several years ago at the local market, unlabelled, of course. I'll start with a peach/orange one, the flowers are fairly large, quite filled, the scent is slightly spicy, pleasant, but not very strong. It is now about 1 m tall, flowering all through the summer season.

P5090908 Unknown rose.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

P5090913  Unknown rose..jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

royscot

• Email
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
Have come across a video that some may find helpful called 'Roses for Mediterranean Gardens' an illustrated talk by Charles Quest-Ritson. If you highlight the undernoted link and right click then go to 'search web search' it should come up.

Roy

https://vimeo.com/127836157   

Daisy

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
That is a lovely rose Jorun. I am sorry, I cannot help with identification. Have you tried Help me Find? http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/roses.php?tab=5

Here are a few photos of my roses this spring. My husband took the photos, as I am still mainly confined to the house.

This is Pat Austin. Definitely not a rose for a mediterranean climate It's petals fry in the sun. I keep it because it beguiles me with it's opulence and it's perfume of warm, ripe, mangoes. When the temperature rises, I give it my large garden sunshade to bloom under. That is enough to keep the blooms looking gorgeous.

This is Sombreuil. I have grown Sombreuil in every garden I have ever had since my first. I cannot imagine life without it. It loves the sun and it's blooms are as beautiful in a heat wave as the first ones are in the chill of early spring. It's perfume is strong and heady.

This is the china rose Archduke Charles. It's perfume is light, but it deserves it's space as it blooms in flushes all year round. Even in the depths of winter, it is not mean. It's flushes are full flushes. Lovely to see in the middle of January.

Golden Celebration under the loquat tree.  

Munstead Wood in a pot that will be moved as soon as I am able bodied again. It looks awful there.

Teasing Georgia above and Lady Emma Hamilton below. Two more roses that are full of perfume and bloom all spring, summer and autumn. Lady Emma blooms in winter too.

Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Charithea

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2015, 08:39:26 AM »
Daisy, thank you for the beautiful photographs of your roses. They make me dream of far pavilions. We have seen some glorious roses this Spring while visiting villages at the foothills of the Troodos mountains. Our Rosa damascena flowered twice this year. The winter rains benefitted all the flowers but I think the roses benefitted more. Our roses are already over except  one orange coloured , name ?, that is protected by the shade of the jacaranda tree. I am waiting for the Pierre de Ronsard( Eden )rose to flower. It was sent to me by my friend from London last December.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:41:01 AM by Alisdair »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2015, 05:52:45 PM »
Have come across a video that some may find helpful called 'Roses for Mediterranean Gardens' an illustrated talk by Charles Quest-Ritson. If you highlight the undernoted link and right click then go to 'search web search' it should come up.

Roy

https://vimeo.com/127836157   

Thank you, Roy, I'll try this when I'm back in Greece again and can fill in all the details. With just the colour, there are too many possible options.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Charithea

« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2015, 06:12:24 PM »
Hello, I just have found out the name of the lovely orange rose that has been flowering continuously in our garden, since early Spring. The colour does not fade like the other roses. It is Poulsen's Paramount Rose ,Flora Danica, and it originated from Northern Greece, Avramis roses.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:13:54 AM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Daisy

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2015, 07:25:29 AM »
Thank-you Charithea. I envy you your Eden rose. Once it starts blooming, it won't stop all season long. It does well in a warm climate too, which is just what is needed.

I looked up your orange rose on http://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.24781.1, lovely and it has a perfume, which isn't that common with orange roses.

Here are a couple more of my husbands photos.
Buff Beauty

Sombreuil on the right, Madam Alfred Carriere on the left.

Gruss an Aachen in the foreground, Abraham Darby and an unknown rose behind.

Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2015, 08:25:13 AM »
Daisy, Thanks so much for your rose photos. I find the sight of those lush and beautiful old roses growing and blooming so richly under your fierce Cretan midsummer sun almost miraculous!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2015, 07:20:42 AM »
Thanks Alisdair. Here is The New Dawn again, in the apricot tree. I love it's scent of green apples.

sylvia

• Email
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »
Now that they tell us California may actually get a decent - if not more than decent - winter of El Nino rain, I can begin to think once again about the garden.  Can anyone who lives in the US or, better yet, in California, suggest where I can find Rosa "Helen Knight?"  I've a pathetic looking Golden Chersonese I'd like to replace and Helen Knight looks like she'd be the perfect one.  I've searched a few online nurseries that will ship to California but to no avail. IF anyone has a suggestion for finding Helen Knight or the name of a similar, bright clear yellow shrub rose, I'd be grateful.

Pictures posted here are wonderful.  I want them all!

Sylvia Sykora
San Francisoc Bay Area
waiting, waiting for the rain

Caroline

« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2015, 06:49:25 AM »
Hi Sylvia -here in the vineyard we have "Friesia", which to me is the sort of bright clear yellow you are looking for and grows to a decent size.  It's a floribunda, and very tough - gets no watering although it is growing in water-retentive clay.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2015, 11:15:47 AM »
Sylvia, I'm sorry to say that although quite a few UK rose nurseries sell Helen Knight, I can't find one that exports to the US. It's so like Golden Chersonese, with similar parentage, that maybe it wouldn't do any better in your garden, if that's any consolation  ;).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2015, 07:19:28 AM »
Anyone - Daisy? Know the name of this rose? My daughter bought it as a small unnamed plant, heavily reduced in price and has been thrilled with its strong healthy growth and beautiful flowers.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Daisy

« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2015, 03:09:03 PM »
Sorry Umbrian, I have no idea. It is a pretty rose. Hopefully, someone else can name it.