Roses

• 200 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Roses
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 07:17:57 AM »
Be aware that David Austin roses are all subject to PVR (plant variety rights) and strictly speaking it in illegal to propagate them without a license from his business. From time to time his reps travel to Australia to audit the propagation of his rose vars. here and people have been prosecuted, and others threatened with it. 'Back-yard' propagators are included. Closer to the UK his  'inspectors' might make more frequent surveys. As I understand things it is not even legal to grow Austin roses from cuttings taken from your own garden to grow in your own garden. Comments anyone?
Trevor raises such an interesting general question in relation to these David Austin roses that I am splitting it off from this topic, and you can now find it in the Miscellaneous section, by clicking here.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 07:20:03 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2013, 08:57:42 AM »
The New Dawn is now in it's third year and is decorating the apricot tree. Some of it's blooms hang down low enough for me to get my nose to. I love that scent which is exactly like fresh green apples.
Daisy :)

001 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

001 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:06:02 AM by Daisy »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Daisy

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2013, 07:01:38 AM »
"Whilst posting this I want to ask you about the rose Marechal Niel that I think you recommended previously. I have the name written in some notes I made when compiling a list of perfumed roses. To recap - a yellow flowered climber? rambler? with good perfume and a healthy grower?  I am also looking to plant one deep pink perfumed climber and am leaning towards Mme Isaac Pereire, is there any other that you would recommend above that?" Umbrian.

Carole. In my garden Marechal Niel has a magnificent spring flush when it is pure yellow.

april 2013 145 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

april 2013 008 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

april 2013 011 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

Afterwards, it has blooms continuously throughout the summer and autumn, with a good sized flush in August when the outer petals are flushed with pink.

012 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

011 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

It has a sweet perfume, is completely healthy and is flexible, making it very easy to train.

I grew Mme Isaac Pereire in England and loved it to bits, although it wasn't without it's problems.
It usually had blackspot, although not usually too badly. It wasn't the most graceful shrub, a little angular and awkward. But when it flowered I would have forgiven any fault.
I have been looking for a photo of it in my old garden in Cornwall, but can only find this one where you can just make out a few blooms of Mme Isaac Pereire on the near left of the photo.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:26:53 PM by Daisy »
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2013, 07:29:17 AM »
Thanks Daisy, have gone off Marachel Niel a bit due to the pink flushing of the later blooms, I really want an intense, pure yellow but I suppose the perfume is of prime importance - any other suggestions?
I have Mme Isaac Periere here and yes, it does suffer a bit from black spot a bit but for me the perfume is wonderful, also the form and colour of the flowers.
By the way, I am Carole, not Melissa (lovely name though ;D)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Daisy

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2013, 12:13:32 PM »
Carole. I am SO SO SORRY.
I used to joke that it was middle age brain cell death. These days it is definitely old age brain death.
Melissa gardens in the Piacenza hills, and although I knew you are Carole, for some reason my brain made me write Melissa instead.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2013, 05:50:59 PM »
No problem Daisy, we are all getting in the same boat I fear  :( but I thought I would just set the record straight  ;D - while I still remember who I am!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2013, 12:01:44 PM »
David Austin Rose 'Graham Thomas' has been the most popular yellow (though I prefer 'Yellow Charles Austin' for its scent) and puts up with a bit of shade in this bed,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2013, 12:58:50 PM »
Another DAR we have is 'The Pilgrim' which is a soft lemony yellow,
cheers
fermi

Daisy

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2013, 05:31:36 PM »
Fermi, lovely roses. I used to grow both of those in England.
I think my favourite was The Pilgrim. I loved it's scent and it's free flowering habit.
Do you have more roses you can show us?

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2013, 09:21:02 PM »
Yes, Daisy - you can almost smell The Pilgrim, in Fermi's lovely photo!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Daisy

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2014, 09:05:48 AM »
I love the new leaves on Lady Emma Hamilton.
They are a mixture of burgundy, green and purple.
To me they look scrumptious. Almost good enough to eat.
Daisy

feb 2014 009 by Daisyincrete, on Flickr

GillP

• Email
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2014, 08:34:32 AM »
Does anyone have any experience of growing Roseraie de l'Hay as a hedging rose in a Med climate?  A friend of mine is keen to plant one but I am a little dubious.  Or, any other thoughts for a hedging rose?  It is for a windy site at 400m altitude so winter cold down to -10°C and summer highs around 32°C  Thank you for any thoughts.
Gardening in the Languedoc, southern France.
Nursery proprietor

Trevor Australis

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2014, 07:05:13 AM »
'Rosierie de l'Hay is in my experience a tall, lanky character which makes hedging it a bit of a challenge. You could try it like a laid hedge by intertwining the longest canes and see what happens. I expect flowering would begin to slacken off after 4-5 yrs and the hedge would have to be cut and laid again. 'Rose a' Parfum de l'Hay' is somewhat more compact and might be worth a try tho' it's flowers are neither so dark, nor so deliciously scented, as in the case of 'Rosierie  de l'Hay'.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
Gill, I have no experience of Roseraie de l'Hay in a med climate, but we planted a hedge of it here in our (warm for UK) garden in Sussex. On the whole we found it a good hedging plant, reasonably compact, BUT it proved unable to survive the fierce competition from a close parallel hazel hedge, with most of the plants gradually dying in dry summers. (We were surprised as we've found other rugosas entirely capable of surviving hot dry summers in thin soil in our garden in SW France.)
Alisdair Aird

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 08:25:16 AM »
This is a fragrant remontant rose which was in the garden when we got here so we don't have a name for it. It reminds me of 'Constance Spry' but that onloy flowers in spring (I think). It has "old rose" fragrance,
cheers
fermi