Roses

• 200 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Re: Roses
« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2020, 03:03:49 AM »
Fermi your roses are so beautiful and desirable. Shame you are so far away for a quick visit.
You'd always be welcome, Charithea ;D
Here's a different rose which we think might be a seedling. It's a semi-rambling semi-double pink,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

John J

« Reply #196 on: March 22, 2021, 08:33:15 AM »
Many garden centres here relied for years, and some still do, on obtaining roses from Holland. In the main these tended to suffer under the conditions they were expected to cope with. However, one of our favourite suppliers brings many of his roses in from Avramis Roses in Greece and they cope much better, having been grown in a similar climate.
Our latest acquisition is one labelled 'Gartentraume', a scented shrub with pink flowers.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 10:19:23 AM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2021, 08:45:19 AM »
So agree about the importance of knowing the provenance of plants, not just roses. Many things are imported from Holland into Italy and, even if subjects suitable to our climate, often fail to establish well. Not a huge fan of roses as I have probably stated before but that is particularly attractive John with the frilled edges to the petals.......and of course scented- what is a rose without scent🙄
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2021, 02:57:58 PM »
Roses don't do very well  in the heat of the Cyprus summer, in our garden, so I have decided to grow them in big pots and keep them under the trees. It means checking them daily  when the weather warms up . Here is a photo of my new rose.  It is supposed to be a David Austin rose but the supplier gave me only its catalogue number.  I have not had success in discovering its name yet.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #199 on: November 22, 2021, 08:20:10 AM »
You'd always be welcome, Charithea ;D
Here's a different rose which we think might be a seedling. It's a semi-rambling semi-double pink,
That rose is doing very well - as Elvis Costello sings "it's been a good year for the roses"! We had decent rain through the winter and spring and a lot of trees and shrubs are showing their appreciation!
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #200 on: November 22, 2021, 08:27:24 AM »
One of the roses in the garden which might be a parent of the preceding rose which a friend has suggested might be Rosa 'Iced Parfait' though it isn't "thornless or near thornless"
cheers
fermi