Roses

• 200 Replies

John J

Re: Roses
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2016, 11:31:02 AM »
As promised by my wife a photo of the first rose to begin opening on the 'stick' she received from Peter Beale Roses that was labelled "Pierre de Ronsard'.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Charithea

« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2016, 03:51:50 PM »
A photo of my Pierre de Ronsard in its full size. I watched the video Pallas recommended but obviously I have to wait until more branches grow on my 'stick' before I train it. However, I strongly believe that this rose is very suitable for mediterranean climates as the flower lasted for more than a week unlike the others that died as soon as the sun shone on them.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:08:38 AM by Alisdair »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2016, 01:48:01 PM »
Thanks for posting the photo: gorgeous rose. I am smitten!
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

John J

« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2016, 04:34:03 AM »
Something slightly different. A lady here in Cyprus sent me the following photo of one of her roses asking if I had any information about what was happening to it. She says that as some flower buds open they produce not one flower but several within the same single bud.
Any of our rose experts out there have any comments, please?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Andriy

« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2016, 07:22:21 PM »
Far from being an expert in roses but to me seems like phytoplasma.
Take a look here http://fps.ucdavis.edu/websitepdfs/articles/rosephyllodyarticle081904.pdf
and here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytoplasma

John J

« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2016, 04:34:53 AM »
Thanks for that, Andriy, I'll pass the info on.

Andriy

« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2016, 07:01:44 AM »
You are welcome, John. I hope it helps.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:40:38 PM by Andriy Shykin »

John J

« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2017, 02:36:05 PM »
A little over a year ago my wife posted a photo of a newly acquired rose that was labelled as 'Andreanna's Parfum'. I have been unable to find any info on roses going under this name. However, the plant has flowered again this year and the photo does not come close to doing justice to the velvety look of the petals.

Charithea

« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »
I have taken  2 photographs of our' Australian roses' .  The graft was  brought by my Aussie cousin  from his Rose garden in Adele.  It is tough, survives our hot dry summers and never gets aphids.  The other photo is of my Pierre de Ronsard.  It has a solitary bud.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 07:34:33 AM by Alisdair »

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #114 on: April 30, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »
Good morning Charitea

Gorgeous red roses -- such deep velvety colour.

I think our 'Pierre de Ronsards' must be siblings!! Mine also has just the solitary bud and has been generally slow to settle in. The flower is just luscious though (I had one [!] last year too) , so I am being patient 😇.

I've found that the roses I have planted have varied hugely in the time they take to settle in: after 4 years, 'Madame Alfred Carriere' has finally taken off (as in 'stand back' taken off), 'Madame Pierre Oger' went in only last year and now has 10 buds, 'Lady Emma Hamilton' also took her own sweet time, about 3 years, and is now filling out nicely. 'Abraham Darby' just died, probably my fault.

Alistair I think it was who referred me to a photo of a hedge of 'Pierre de Ronsard' in Australia, glorious, glorious it was. I am still hoping to get even halfway there, even if it takes a few years!

S.
Small (300m2) south-facing garden on the outskirts of Málaga. RHS H2 / USDA 10b.

Pallas

• Email
« Reply #115 on: April 30, 2018, 09:12:29 AM »
Apologies, should be 'Alisdair'.

S.

Charithea

« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2018, 01:18:45 PM »
Hi Pallas, I also saw that Australian photo.  I hope to live  long enough for the rose sticks to flourish.  I am tempted to try some of the ones you had success with. I have had many roses die but my Rosa moscheta has been flowering well. I looked for it for years until I spotted it at a monastery.  I  visited three times to get cuttings. Each time I used different ways of asking for another cutting. I bribed the nuns with vegan cake, a book about  flowers and a potted flower.  A few years later l was told of a nursery that had  them for sale. I bought three.  All died but my monastery cutting survives.  It is not a spectacular rose but for me it was a rose from my childhood.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2018, 06:37:14 AM »
Lovely story about the cuttings from the monastery Charithea - " where there's a will there's a way" springs to mind.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #118 on: May 02, 2018, 01:27:23 AM »
When I arrived at my current house I inherited 5 roses. Only one received any direct sun and that was in the shallowest soil imaginable. With a little bit of repositioning the yellow climbing rose is now over 6 feet long and is producing a mass of flowers which fade in their second day to off-white.

The second rose I moved is just beginning to show signs of life. If I get flowers I will post a photo.  Adding ash to the soil of the other 3 roses has produced flowers on 2 of them. 1 pale pink  and the other darker pink but with paler backs to the petals. I think the third will have to be moved.

I have no idea what kind of roses they are, Any suggestions welcome.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #119 on: May 02, 2018, 04:51:36 AM »
David I don't know the names of any your roses but I love the pink very much. It has an air of gentle , soft beauty to it.