Mycorrhizal fungi

• 15 Replies

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
Re: Mycorrhizal fungi
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 02:39:56 PM »
Hello to all,

First, my apologies for the long silence; I had no idea that there had been any, let alone so many, replies to this post - I thought I had my "alert when someone replies to post" switched on, but it would appear not... Will remedy that forthwith. All of the above very interesting - it sounds like you are all quite well up on the subject and, like me, the problem has been finding suppliers of these useful fungi.

FYI, I wanted to tell you about a project made by a Landscape Management colleague of mine, who did his dissertation on the use of m-f in reforestation and roadside verges. His results support those of other similar studies - as I recall, the figures were something like less than 5% losses when inoculated by m-f at planting, as compared to anything from 20-50% in control areas, with year-on-year growth significantly increased in the first three years (maybe up to 200% more foliage and girth; perhaps Simon can corroborate?)

Again, if I remember well, these were trees planted as bare-rooted whips in Autumn, with no irrigation in the summer. Typical native British hedgerow species - Acer campestre, Crataegus monogyna, Prunus spinosa, Viburnum opulus, Corylus avellana etc. The study was near Maidstone, Kent.

Finally, Simon - I am quite sure we have met, at Jacobs in Maidstone! I will pm you regarding supply and prices to Portugal.

Thanks again for all  the comments, everyone. :D
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.