Growing Passiflora manicata

• 7 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Growing Passiflora manicata
« on: January 26, 2012, 05:40:42 PM »
This is my first question to the blog so “hello” to everybody. Hope 2012 will be kind to you all.

My situation:    3 attempts to grow Passiflora manicata both on my balcony (in full sun and a second plant in partial shade) and indoors in a luminous spot (but not in direct sun light) have failed. The plants usually die around June.   
Questions:
•   Is it simply that summer temperatures are too hot? – average day-time temperatures in shade in August, 35°C, occasionally up to 40°C.
•   Is it that the water in Rome is too hard?
•   Is it that humidity is a problem? (although humidity is usually high, we do get strong afternoon breezes)
•   Is it simply that Passiflora manicata will not take to living in pots?

I tried grafting shoots from a very young Passiflora manicata plant onto Passiflora caerulea last year but unfortunately it was not a success. I think the shoots I took from Passiflora manicata were too young. All necessary precautions were taken during the process - instruments used were thoroughly sterilized etc. P caerulea lives quite happily in pots in Rome. I am planning to try grafting again this spring with the 2 new healthy and mature P manicata plants that I have just bought (from UK). Any advice on keeping these two plants alive and/or on grafting that you might be able to give me will be most gratefully received.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 02:32:01 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John

Re: Growing Passiflora Manicata
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 12:23:01 AM »
Hi, it looks as if you have chosen a tricky one. A high altitude species which apparently doesn't like being in a pot but prefers to be planted in the ground and needs to get to quite a size to flower. Something that is probably too difficult in Rome where it is probably too cold in winter.
I grew a species from seed bought from Jim & Jenny Archibald collected in Argentina a couple of years ago. It eventually flowered and turned out to be P. tucumanensis which is somewhat frost tolerant but not very showy. By that I mean quite small flowered! Picture attached. Pleasant scent though.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

ezeiza

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:03:59 AM »
John, the flower is very attractive. Many species have small flowers.

John

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 08:23:29 AM »
Yes I agree. The corona is quite well marked too as I have seen pictures of this species with almost no markings. I suppose that I meant that the amount of flower compared to the amount of growth has been somewhat disappointing. Indeed this year it didn't flower at all!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 09:37:45 AM »
Passiflora x violacea (syn. P. x caeruleo-racemosa) I found growing by a friends front door in eastern Crete after the MGS AGM. It was flourishing and quite cold tolerant as it needs to be for Crete, at least for short periods. Currently I believe it's been down to around 4ºC.  
John

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 05:34:52 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far.

As I grow in pots it is easy to move the passifloras indoors for the cold period (mid December to end of February usually) I do this with Passiflora Racemosa and Passiflora Morifolia both of which grow very well for me. I am not so keen on P Racemosa because I prefer to see the shape of an individual flower contrasted againt foliage.

I grow P "Lady Margaret which is a nice red flower - maybe I will have to be content with this?

Of the Passiflora Manicatas I referred to in my original posting, the majority (including the two I have now) were very healthy, mature, nursery grown plants with lots of flowers and I presume were grown from seed/cuttings in pots. The young plant which I took shoots from for grafting was bought from a nursery in the north of Italy so at least there they will survive. Again a very healthy specimen but with only young growth.

For anybody else who is interested in grafting passifloras, I followed the advice given in the information for grafting Passifloras at:   

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36882534@N00/sets/72157619874687397/

and read the postings at:     http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/passiflora/msg0617494330218.html

Thanks again for your comments so far :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »
We tried Passiflora manicata and one or two other pink-flowered or red-flowered species, from highish altitudes, in the open ground in a fairly shady area of our hot Greek garden, irrigated twice weekly during summer. They did not survive, defeated by the dry heat.
We have never seen any of the red-flowered or pink-flowered passion flowers flourishing in this part of Greece, and suspect that in Rome you have set yourself a tremendous challenge, David! I do wish we could grow them here, so if you hit on the magic formula that will be terrific. It sounds from your experience as if it might be worth our trying Lady Margaret, though....
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Passiflora
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 02:08:01 PM »
To see Jorun's photo of Passiflora alata, click here.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society