Art in the Garden

• 208 Replies

John J

Re: Art in the Garden
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 08:40:08 AM »
Just thought I'd send in a pic of my wife's latest project. Not quite finished yet but she's rushing to complete it so that we can take it to Athens next week. She's hoping that Sally might like it for Sparoza. Not obvious from the photo but it's 50cm x 50cm.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 08:59:48 AM »
Wow, John; Sally will be thrilled!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 10:50:54 AM »
A brilliant idea. I'd been hoping to get a view of one of Thea's mosaics and now I will.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

JTh

• Email
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »
Really nice, John, and such a fine gift
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alice

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 05:25:18 PM »
Beautiful! I hope we might get to view it as well next week.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 10:57:29 PM »
Very nice!
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 02:17:19 PM »
A quick update on the MGS logo plaque. It went down well with Sally and she has promised to find a suitable spot for it in the garden at Sparoza.
The photo below is the first step, almost literally, on a new path my wife (Charithea) is creating in the garden. It's the first of 14 slabs that will make up the finished walkway. I'll try to remember to post the rest as they are completed.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 09:58:12 AM »
Ref the above posting, slabs 2 & 3.

Jill S

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 08:05:22 PM »
That is going to be quite some pathway. Lovely (especially like slab no.2)
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

Alice

« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »
A walkway to cheer the soul!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

John J

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »
Slab no 4.

John J

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2014, 08:31:29 AM »
Slab no 5. HAPPY NEW YEAR to all Forum readers.

Alice

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »
Charithea, you seem to be churning them out at a rate of knots!
I really like the latest one (no 5). Perhaps we should vote on our favourite slab when photos of all 14 have be posted...

Charithea

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »
Hi Alice, thanks for the comments. The tempo of production will fall dramatically by the week end as my "holiday time" will be over. Last family party gathering for the festive season is Monday 6th and then schools reopen and back to my DUTIES.  All my good wishes for the new year. CJ
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Hilary

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »
I love the mosaics you make.
Do you have a proper tidy workroom or are there bits of mosaic all over the house?
Also where do you get your ideas?
Do you make up the designs or go looking at ancient mosaics?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care