Art in the Garden

• 208 Replies

John J

Re: Art in the Garden
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2014, 02:37:22 PM »
Charithea's latest projects, inspired by patterns seen during the MGS trip to Morocco in March.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Daisy

« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2014, 04:08:08 PM »
These are lovely John. Such talent 8)
Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Trevor Australis

« Reply #92 on: July 09, 2014, 12:32:30 AM »
Do any members have interesting old garden and horticultural tools on display in their gardens, houses, patios? I am particularly interested to know if anyone has an example of local traditional tools and bits of equipment such as the wooden threshing sleds with small sharp stones embedded in one side so that when dragged across a threshing floor by men, women or donkey the grain was separated from the seed heads. Or perhaps a shoulder yoke as used to carry buckets of water, baskets of veg etc.
M Land. Arch., B. Sp. Ed. Teacher, traveller and usually climate compatible.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #93 on: July 09, 2014, 07:16:25 AM »
Trevor, you have probably read the articles and seen the video on Vimeo by John Whittaker. It is a fascinating, if slow process for gathering grain. It was always an excitement, when working in an archaeological team, to find traces of silicon on the flints which were embedded into the base of the sledge. The silicon accumulated from the cut grass stems and formed a glassy layer on the flint, often visible without a microscope.

Alice

« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2014, 10:41:07 AM »
So beautiful, Charithea. I am speechless!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Charithea

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2014, 09:15:55 AM »
Hi Trevor, we don' t have artifacts from our arable farming days but we do have a large copper cauldron we used to cook our Halloumia ( Cyprus sheep cheese) which would look wonderful on the verandah but do't dare exhibited it as thieves will easily remove it. All the farm equipment was given away by my sister long ago. However! We have a wooden bread frame which will hold 10 circular loaves, on the kitchen wall. It was inherited from my uncles' bakery several years ago.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Charithea

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »
Hi Daisy I have been admiring your roses and your other flowers. I read the Forum daily and wish to put on some of the photos I have taken. I still ca n't make them small enough. I have taken a photo of a rose in a garden in Malia. The owner calls it EROTAS(love ) and I would like to have one but difficult to find as the plantsman that sold it to her is not around any more. As soon as I get some computer lessons I shall post it for identification.Thank you for the lovely pics Charitheaj

John J

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2014, 09:41:34 AM »
Photo of Thea's uncle's bread board (he was the village baker) hanging on our kitchen wall.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Trevor Australis

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2014, 11:34:49 PM »
Thanks for your replies. We've been off-line for a week so I couldn't reply earlier.

John J

« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2015, 01:11:20 PM »
Latest items off the production line. Attached to the wall this morning. The artist is going through a cyclamen phase.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 03:08:38 PM by John J »

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2015, 09:59:27 PM »
I was looking back at some of the great photos of the ceramics from Charithea (posted by John)and I saw this question from Trevor Australis "Do any members have interesting old garden and horticultural tools on display in their gardens, houses, patios?"

I know it isn't exactly what Trevor was looking for in posting his question but it brought to mind an event in Gary Jo Gardenhire's garden in Italy entitled "Art in the Garden". I'm sure Gary won't mind me drawing attention to his work. A lot of it uses old tools, scrap and a host of other things to create original art. You can see some of it in the photos of the event I refer to above on the MGS Italy facebook photos page. Don't worry, to see the photos you don't need to register on Facebook. They start about halfway through the "2014" section. You'll recognize them easily, a couple sitting in the garden, faces made from old spades etc. Take a look ... :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Trevor Australis

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2015, 01:49:55 AM »
 :) Thanks I will follow it up.

Alice

« Reply #102 on: March 16, 2015, 03:39:37 PM »
The cyclamen are just gorgeous, Charithea!
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Charithea

« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2015, 10:11:56 AM »
Thank you Alice. I decided on the subject to "rendere omaggio ai ciclamini" which grow near by at Currium and also to celebrate  the fact that we have different cyclamens growing in our garden. They started  off with a rescued Cyclamen cypria and then with plants
gifted to us by Yiannos Orphanos and seeds from Helena Wiesner.

Charithea

« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2015, 10:36:01 AM »
Hello David, sorry for taking so long to send a message. My grandmotherly duties take up a lot of my time. I have looked at the art work of Gary Jo Gardenhire. Very nice and wish I had that type of creative ability. I have also being reading the articles on the Italian website since it has started because I am trying to improve my Italian. I have recommended it to my friend, a fellow Italian learner. Have you manage to find the name of the beautiful blue Salvia in Cindy's garden.? I have decided since I can not source the salvias here in Cyprus the next best thing was to buy the seeds from Chilterns. I have Salvia pattern, nemorosa horminum,lyrata, prantensis and farinacea. All of them are now seedlings either in the shed or under the myrtle bush. Some took only four days to germinate. Now the battle begins to keep them alive as the weather is warming up.I will post my progress.Charithea