Art in the Garden

• 208 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Art in the Garden
« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2018, 10:29:25 PM »
 A belated reply to Umbrian and Pallas and a belated thanks to others for comments re water feature. The pumps are easy to find on Amazon. The exact one  I bought didn't come up but something very similar did. Mine only works in full sun, I should add. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anself-Landscape-Fountains-Pluggable-decorative/dp/B01CQTUIT0?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_4

Pallas' cast metal statues made me think of faking it in my garden. I got some very cheap (no pun intended in the case of the sparrows) ornaments - a couple of euros each. I bought them for their shape not their quality as the intention was to spray them over with cast iron effect paint - 8 euros for a large can. I don't trust the paint to hold out against rain or full sun but that doesn't matter as the snails will be attached to table legs under awnings where I keep most of my succulents. The sparrows can gossip away about me up in the fittings for the awnings.

A few before and after the make over shots.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #166 on: September 07, 2018, 06:02:09 AM »
Very inventive David but can't think why you want to introduce snails into your garden!
They are very cute though......
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #167 on: September 07, 2018, 08:36:44 AM »
Very clever way of decorating David. John is replacing some of our old gardening implements.  I wonder whether I could spray-paint them and place them stratigically in the garden.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:19:28 AM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #168 on: September 07, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »
Think that is a wonderful idea Charithea- I have a collection of old tools that I intend to display somewhere in my new garden - when the planting is finished...
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2018, 02:42:09 PM »
Carole you have Gary to give you ideas.  I thought of showing my metal worker friend a photo of Gary's Having tea  piece. I wonder if he could do something similar without infringing copyright.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

« Reply #170 on: October 30, 2018, 07:21:59 PM »
Is this what is meant by a fish out of water?  ???
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2018, 07:24:10 PM »
Maybe not art in the garden. Street Art, perhaps?  :-\
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #172 on: October 30, 2018, 07:28:35 PM »
OK, definitely not art in the garden but certainly the art of advertising so that there can be no doubt as to what is on sale at this particular establishment.  ;)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #173 on: October 31, 2018, 07:29:56 AM »
The expression on the face of the ' statue' says it all for me....dubious?

Hilary

« Reply #174 on: October 31, 2018, 08:03:50 AM »
The statue is a copy of The Lady of Elche .
The original in in the National Archaeological Museum of Spain, Madrid

The museum reopened a couple of years ago and a must if you visit Madrid
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2018, 08:22:14 AM »
Exactly, Hilary. We saw it on the MGS AGM tour in the Costa Blanca, that we have just returned from, as we walked between gardens in Elche. The organisers were taking us to see the Vertical Garden on the way.

John J

« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2019, 09:38:45 AM »
Earlier in this thread I have mentioned the fact that an attempt is being made to create a garden from an area adjoining the main village church that has been allowed to go to waste. This is still ongoing and my wife and others have been making mosaic inlaid tables and place mats that will be raffled off in the coming months to raise more money for the project. In the meantime we have been begging, borrowing (but not stealing!), small trees and other plants, soil, tiles, anything that could be useful, from the Forestry Department, local nurseries, builder's suppliers, etc, so as to be ready once we can go ahead. One task that we delegated to the village workers was to prune a couple of olive trees that were already in situ on the land. Below is what we found when we went this morning. Almost enough to make a grown man weep!  :'(

John J

« Reply #177 on: January 30, 2019, 09:54:19 AM »
Below are photos of the tables and place mats that my wife and her group of ladies have made to be raffled off to fund the church garden.

John J

« Reply #178 on: January 30, 2019, 10:02:47 AM »
Finally, just to illustrate the effort that is going into this project. Grouting one of the tables, and grouting a large mosaic that the group have constructed on the approach to the garden. The breeze blocks will be used to make a raised bed above the mosaic to set it off.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2019, 11:49:05 AM »
Don't let the Olive Tree episode dampen your spirits too much. The project's much bigger than that and they will come back - albeit slowly. Great work going on  :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.