Dilchandra and Akeba

• 2 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Dilchandra and Akeba
« on: December 09, 2011, 09:51:54 AM »
Dolichandra unguis-cati syn. Macfadyena unguis-cati. I lowered this blind in July to keep out the setting sun and the climber took over. It's for the secateurs tomorrow because now I want the sun again. In the mess on the right is also an Akeba quintata. It doesn't flower well here so I'm thinking of planting it somewhere else from cuttings. Any ideas on what it needs in the way of soil?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:19:56 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

ezeiza

Re: Dilchandra and Akeba
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 02:06:39 AM »
Macfadiena, etc. is a native here in Argentina. It is a very large bignonia that produces a stunning explosion of yellow flowers that is over in a few days. No one grows it as it is a weed with no garden value 8except the fugacious bloom).

Akebia loves good soils and once established is very drought resistant. Foliage is perennial and very attractive and the flowers are striking  (there is a spectacular bicolor form). It grows well in shade  even deep sahde and makes a fin ground cover. BUt, over the years the tidy nice plant of the first years becomes a rampant huge thing that layers and smothers everything at hand.

Hilary

Re: Dilchandra and Akeba
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 08:55:14 AM »
Fleur,
I read about
 Macfadyena unguis-cati
on the Internet.
Interesting
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care