Psoralea glandulosa

• 2 Replies

John

Psoralea glandulosa
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:32:10 PM »
This Chilean shrub is presumably related to the mediterranean Psoralea (or now Bituminaria) bitumina. I was given a couple of seeds in November 2009 which I sowed immediately. A resultant seedling grew away well and I potted on this season into a litre sized pot/ It has grown incredibly well to about 1.8m high and has had numerous axillary flower spikes and is still in flower. Subtle rather than showy but rather nice close to. Though I assume it comes from the mediterranean climate area of Chile it appears to be quite frost tolerant as well.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Psoralea glandulosa
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:24:38 AM »
Although the Mediterranean Psoralea has attractive flowers and leaves, in beds it becomes an annoying weed which is hard to pull out. I wonder if this Chilean version is more restrained? Have you tried taking cuttings?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 10:04:14 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John

Re: Psoralea glandulosa
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 02:26:31 PM »
I haven't tried cuttings though I suspect they would be quite easy. It is similar in leaf but it is a much bigger plant. It's a deciduous shrub over 2 m high and seemingly quite hardy.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.