Iris

• 166 Replies

fragman

Iris
« on: December 02, 2011, 08:09:29 AM »
We found this Iris vartanii in 3 sites on Mt Carmel, we wish to cultivate this species into a Mediterranean equivalent ornamental of Iris reticulata...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:42:59 PM by Alisdair »
Ori Fragman-Sapir
Jerusalem Botanical Gardens

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Iris vartanii and other bulbs in peak blooming in Mt Carmel
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 08:58:03 AM »
Wonderful to see that, Ori, thanks! And it would be great if you could get it into commerce as a "Mediterranean reticulata". Is it true that it has a delicious almond scent?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 09:21:25 AM »
Lovely, Ori
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

fragman

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 12:57:59 PM »
now I will have to smell them, did not do it till now...
Ori Fragman-Sapir
Jerusalem Botanical Gardens

HansA

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 11:00:39 PM »
Superb pictures Ori! Great to see this species in its natural habitat. In november the first one flowered here in the garden. :)
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

JTh

• Email
Iris seen in Rothschild Memorial Garden, Israel
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:37:25 AM »
When we were in Israel in March 2011, we visited Rothschild Memorial Garden, and in some beds with Israeli-Mediterranean plants there were several irises, some of them we had already seen elsewhere, but I still managed to get the names mixed up, so I wonder if some of you could help me with the first three of those shown here here. The name of the last one, of Iris bismarckiana, I believe is correct.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:07:21 PM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Iris seen in Rothschild Memorial Garden, Israel
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 12:06:56 PM »
Lovely pictures, Jorun.
As you'd thought, the names have got slightly switched. The first is indeed Iris mariae (syn. I. helenae).
The second carried the label "Iris giladensis"; this seems to be a form of or at least closely related to Iris petrana.
The third is Iris haynei, and the fourth is as you'd thought Iris bismarckiana.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

JTh

• Email
Re: Iris seen in Rothschild Memorial Garden, Israel
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
Thank you, Alisdair, it's great to get help within a few minutes after the questions were posted.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Iris seen in Israel
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »
Jorun, your lovely photos have prompted me to dig out some of my own. I hope Miriam, Oron, Ori or Hans will put me right if my identification strays from the straight and narrow!
First is Iris haynei again, the plant we saw at the Rothschild gardens; quite widely spread in the near east.
Second and third photos are of its close relative Iris atrofusca, as we found it flowering in the Negev desert.
Fourth is the plant we saw at the Rothschild gardens labelled there as I. giladensis (presumably for Iris gileadensis). This is reckoned by The Plant List to be a synonym of either I. atrofusca or I. atropurpurea, but Miriam says it is a dark form of I. haynei from the mountains of west Jordan.
Fifth is Iris atropurpurea, a late plant that we were lucky to find still in flower among the coastal dunes south of Tel Aviv.
Sixth is Iris petrana, the near-black form called by some Iris hieruchamensis, which we found in near-desert not far from Yeroham.
Seventh is a more typical form of Iris petrana, grown at the Rothschild gardens from material collected between Yeroham and the Dead Sea.
Number 8 is another view of that luscious creature Iris mariae (syn. I. helenae), cultivated at the Rothschild gardens.
Number 9 is the stunning Iris bismarckiana again, also in the Rothschild conservation collection.
All these are oncocyclus irises – the kings and queens of the iris family, driving many iris enthusiasts in northern Europe to despair as they are so intolerant of damp and demand such a reliably hot dry summer. Mediterranean conditions suit them much better, but even there sharp drainage is essential.
The final iris Oron led us to on that MGS Israel trip was completely different. This last yellow-flowered iris is Iris grant-duffii, extremely rare and heavily protected by conservation legislation, with virtually no close relatives. It was growing in a seasonal bog, which would probably dry out in summer, and was accompanied by Anemone coronaria in profusion.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 04:55:19 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird

Cali

Species iris (later IDd by Jorun as Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin')
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 08:17:38 AM »
I was given a bag of unidentified iris corms and several of these have just flowered. They stand about two inches off the ground and are obviously in the wrong place since they are practically invisible in the gray gravel and are bound to be stepped on. Identification anyone?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:44:24 PM by Alisdair »
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

pamela

Re: Species iris
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 08:26:01 AM »
Hello  Cali
They might be Iris reticulata??
Hope you are well.  Best wishes.

Pamela
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Cali

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:56:49 AM »
Thank you, Pamela--
--The reticulatas I knew were taller and of a bright blue, but now I've checked google images and there are a couple of cultivars ("Harmony" is one of them) that have this washed out greyish blue colour. The petals seem rounder however, and the stalk taller. We're well and delighted that Spring has started to manifest itself. I hope you're well too
Best
Cali
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President

JTh

• Email
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 11:43:06 AM »
Cali, I have a few in my garden in Norway which look very much like yours, they are Iris reticulata 'Katharine Hodgkin'; the Pacific Bulb Society says it is a hybrid of Iris winogradowii and Iris histrioides. Mine are still covered with snow and ice, I think they are beautiful, but I agree with you, the grey gravel does not make the best background for this iris.

Cali

Re: Species iris IDd by Jorun as Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin'
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »
Thank you, Jorun--yes, that does look like it.  Now all I need to do is move them.... if I can find them again in the autumn.
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President

Cali

Hermodactylus tuberosus
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 05:31:37 PM »
Does it also exist in all-yellow form? I found one growing next to the usual greenish brown kind and can't imagine what else it might be....
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President