Iris

• 166 Replies

JTh

• Email
Re: Iris
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2014, 10:50:22 PM »
I would be vey surprised if you find Iris reichenbachii that late on you trip, Alisdair, even if spring is late where you are going. Here in Halkidiki they  are in bloom in mid-April around 450 m above sea level, I can show you plenty of them if you come here at the right time, they are beautiful.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2014, 07:54:08 AM »
Thanks, Jorun - I'm always a bit too optimistic, I think!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
Re: Iris reichenbachii
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2014, 12:42:44 PM »
The MGS trip to north-east Greece is currently scheduled for 18-25 May - spring comes late to that area and I hope we can get up quite high, but even so I fear we may be too late for your lovely little plant. But there will be plenty of other beautiful spring flowers, and the scenery there is stunning.
Anyone who wants more information can email mgsforeignexcursions@gmail.com
Alisdair,
my sister is trying to convince us to join in on a yacht trip around the Greek Isles! She said there's be time to look for wildflowers but I think she'd probably want to go around June or July! Could possibly collect some seed!

This is Iris xiphium which I grew from seed from the SRGC Seedex a few years ago - it was collected by Rafa D in Spain and I've just received seeds from him and he included a spare packet of this iris, so I can see if there's any variation (in a few years!)
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2014, 02:59:46 PM »
go for it, Fermi! I'm sure you would find all sorts of interesting seeds at that time, if - and it's a big if - your sister let you off the boat for long enough! But even if she didn't, that is one of the world's most idyllic areas to sail in.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Alisdair ;D - just need to check the finances before we can commit.
Some more PCI (Pacific Coast Iris) in flower: the first 3 are from Heidi Blyth of Sunshine & Dirt Iris Nursery
PCI 8G LB
PCI 7227 & Sahara Sunset
Sahara Sunset
White-mauve seedling
cheers
fermi

Caroline

« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2014, 11:57:43 PM »
Very desirable Fermi ;D.  Too late for this year, but what kind of conditions do they need? And how high do they grow- wind always a factor round here.

Cheers

Caroline
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2014, 02:00:31 AM »
Hi Caroline,
they are bred from iris which occur on the Pacific Coast of North America so some are well suited to Mediterranean conditions.
We've just had a discussion on the SRGC Forum about them:http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=12327.msg314367;topicseen#new
Growing from seed would mean the ones which survive would be suited to your conditions.
Here we grow them with a bit of overhead protection by planting at the base of deciduous trees or shrubs, but I don't think they do well in heavy shade. They will benefit from some summer water but that's not essential despite our 40oC summers,
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:40 AM »
2 late flowering bulbous iris:
'Thunderbolt'
'Eye of the Tiger'
cheers
fermi

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2014, 01:53:27 PM »
November is the time for the Spuria iris!
A mixed group of yellow and brown hybrids;
Close up of brown Spuria Iris which might be 'Intensity'
Close up of yellowSpuria Iris hybrid,
cheers
fermi

JTh

• Email
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2015, 09:14:52 PM »
Cali, two years ago you wrote that you had an Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin' that you wanted to find a new place for, did you have any success?
 I am just wondering, since I find it amazing that a plant can thrive both in a mediterranean climate and up here in the northern part of Europe. Actually, we hardly had a proper winter here this year, although we had short periods with around 20 degrees below zero. The snow is long gone (but may be back), today I took some photos of the first irises in the garden, 'Katharine Hodgkin is not very tall, but worth looking at.

_Z230405-Edit Iris 'Katharine Hodgkin.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 08:33:02 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2015, 07:26:03 AM »
Beautiful Jorun - such a variety of colours and markings. I agree about how strange it is that some plants thrive in such diverse conditions- a bit like people I suppose, some of us are more adaptable than others, don't think I would survive for long in the cold temperatures you mention!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2015, 11:12:17 AM »
The early spring pleasure didn't last long, it started snowing last night and all the flowers are covered by 25-30 cm snow, and much more is expected. I'm longing for Greece, only 12 more days left before we are leaving this white environment.

Alice

« Reply #117 on: May 29, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
Some Iris germanica coming to the end of their flowering period.
1. "Haut les Voiles"
2. "Foreigner"
3. "High Class"
4. "Trails West"
5. "Designer's Art"
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2015, 06:20:19 PM »
Lovely, Alice! 'Haut les Voiles' and 'High Class' have the subtle colouring almost of a sweet pea.
Alisdair Aird

Alice

« Reply #119 on: June 01, 2015, 04:39:21 PM »
Thank you, Alisdair. There are some gorgeous ones around.
There may be one more to come. I am waiting with bated breath.
We have found that, in our conditions, tall bearded irises do better if they get shade for about half the day. We also prepared the bed a few months before planting, digging in lots of manure.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.