Paysandisia archon/ Palm borer

• 6 Replies

David Bracey

• Email
Paysandisia archon/ Palm borer
« on: July 06, 2011, 05:07:22 PM »
I have received the following enquiry and would appreciate any inputs, ideas and help from members to control this moth which is now well established in Southern Europe.

"Have just noticed in the last few days several of these beautiful moths on our palm tree at 30330 TRESQUES, France; very near to you.

Is there any reasonably easy treatment against the larvae of this moth? The palm may have been attacked previously as some leaves are in a bad state. The palm is a bit over 3m high.

We are not terribly worried about the palm and if it is necessary to cut it down are there any specific requirements for disposing of it or will the local dechetterie take it?"" from Tresques in the Languedoc France.

David Bracey

MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

ezeiza

Re: Paysandisia archon/ Palm borer
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 01:19:40 PM »
For a palm this low a careful sprying with a systemic insecticide will solve the problem. It would be helpful to water the plant well before and after the treatment.

Rosie

• Gardening in Portugal
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 07:36:59 PM »
I have recently received a report of this moth causing damage here on the Algarve. We are looking for advice on treatments. We understand that it might attack our native palm, Chamaerops humilis, which is a bit of a blow ! www.savealgarvepalms.com 

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 08:24:13 PM »
Rosie, You will find some helpful suggestions in the separate thread on Chamaerops humilis in the Shrubs section, particularly David Bracey's message (click here). Then screen down to see what Alessandra does at La Mortella.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

HansA

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »
Even if most butterflies are more than welcome in my garden this one was not! :P
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 05:47:14 AM »
Well Hans, at least it does not like Oncos.... ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:37:27 AM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

HansA

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
Yessss, this would be really terrible! ;)
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect