Weather

• 37 Replies

John

Re: Weather
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2012, 07:56:56 PM »
Yes we are desperately hoping for rain here in London tomorrow. It is promised but!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 11:23:58 AM »
The rain has arrived and our drought has broken though it won't be anywhere near enough to make a difference. Hose pipe bans are due to come in soon!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Casalima

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 12:22:34 PM »
We had rain yesterday and more today!! And a bit more due this week. Great excitement!! And this in an area with an average annual rainfall of 1500 mm.
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2012, 06:49:52 AM »
Attempting the "spring clean" of my quite extensive garden I am worried about how dry it is already. It hardly seems possible that just a few weeks ago it was lying under deep snow - 60cm+ in places. Last year was very dry and we had a very mild autumn, the water table must be very low because when the snow finally melted, the little stream that we have to ford to get to our house did not become a raging torrent as is usual after snow. Now it is just a trickle again that is more usual for the summer months. The snow melt will have helped deeper in the soil of course but the surface is already cracking due to unseasonably high temperatures and constant wind making weeding increasingly difficult. :(
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2019, 03:57:59 PM »
Haven't posted on this thread for a long time but took a look at the old church in Alassa abandoned village this morning. Hasn't been this far under water since 2004. The trees that were growing next to it seem to have either been cut down or collapsed.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2019, 08:51:36 AM »
Haven't posted about weather for some time and am not sure where I should but have opted for here!
Strange assortment of flowering plants in the garden at the moment that probably will change after the temperature plummeted yesterday and we even had a sprinkling of snow.
I have Solanum rantonnetti still flowering alongside Helleborus niger which often fails to live up to it's name of 'Christmas Rose'  but this year was very early and now is almost over. Many Salvias still going strong and the roses producing the odd new bloom whilst a fat daffodil bud is about to burst open....
Knowing that conditions can change very quickly I have my most tender subjects safely moved to their winter quarters but I am hopeful that my annual Christmas Day count of flowers open in the garden will be greater this year - or at least different.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2019, 07:15:23 AM »
I had hoped to emulate Umbrian and do a count of the flowers open today, and maybe take a few photos, but the weather has ruled that out with a vengeance. Yesterday was extremely wet and windy and the wet has continued into today although I'm glad to say that the wind has dropped, so too wet to venture out with camera.
Suffice it to say that wherever you are in the world if you are celebrating at this time of year I hope it is with friends and family and that you have a great time.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2020, 08:36:18 AM »
Our beautiful, warm sunny days have come to an end at the moment and some welcome rain fell yesterday. Despite the cold nights, that accompanied the warm days, I still have an assortment of summer flowers surviving alongside winter and early spring subjects such as  Coronilla glauca.  Salvia Costa Rican Blue is the star of the show in that area with flowers on lower branches still bravely opening.  Some plants obviously just don't know what to do however as the snowdrops are only just poking their leaves out of the soil.
(My total count of flowers in Christmas Day was 29 - a record since we have been in Italy)