Weather

• 37 Replies

John

Weather
« on: November 28, 2011, 09:25:30 AM »
Just thought that I'd mention that today I woke to a frost. The first of the season, here in the UK (at least for me in the London suburbs). Turning milder again tonight though! Due to this very mild weather bedding plants are still flowering though I suspect this first cold snap will have put an end to that now. Amazing though, nearly December and tuberous Begonia still in flower.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:26:15 AM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

hilberry

Weather France
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 06:31:52 PM »
We've not had a frost yet, and neither have we had the usual November torrential rains.  There are lots of plants still in flower, including Spring flowers like bearded irises and alliums.  I do wonder if the alliums will come back next year.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:26:10 AM by Alisdair »
Retired artist/potter.  Amateur gardener searching for suitable plants for my hot dry summers, cool wet winters.  Redesigning the garden to have a shady area under trees, so searching also for dry shade plants and ideas for the type of soil needed.  I live in S.Loire Atlantique, France

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Weather Umbria
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 09:42:04 AM »
Weather Umbria. We too are enjoying a wonderfully warm autumn with no damage to more tender things despite  a week of hard ground frosts in mid November. The thermometer,under "cover" outside our back door that faces North, read +2C at its lowest but geraniums, morning glory, Salvia guaranitica etc are still flowering merrily. One fact may be that we are really still suffering drought conditions with no rain for weeks and so the soil is quite dry. :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:26:39 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John

Re: Weather UK
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:09:50 PM »
In the south east UK we are also suffering somewhat from a drought. Hardly any rain for ages. Reservoirs getting really low again.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
Re: Weather Portugal
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 04:43:05 PM »
Same story here, no rain for weeks, warmer than average for time of year, roadside almond trees already showing blossom, two Iris albicans plants in flower. And all the Narcissus papyraceus have already been  blooming for a fortnight! (Photos to follow next week I hope...)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:27:00 AM by Alisdair »
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Weather UK
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 09:54:46 PM »
My sister, in Caithness, recorded 95mph wind speed by her weather station on the roof today!
Some gusts here today seem to be trying to rival that.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Re: Weather Catalonia
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 06:31:59 PM »
What a lucky lot we are!!
25º. Not a cloud to be seen,  picnic on the beach and our own olive oil for "Pan con Tomate" topped with Jamon Iberica and a Rioja for company.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:27:28 AM by Alisdair »

JTh

• Email
Re: Weather Norway
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 07:07:43 PM »
It is somewhat fresher here in Oslo, -8 0C and the ground is covered with snow. All water reservoirs are full, we have not had more rain any other year the last 112 years.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:27:44 AM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Re: Weather South of France
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
Between 10 ° C the morning and 15 ° C the afternoon in south of France in Var. No wind this last days, but a lot of rain the last month. Iris unguicularis had became to bloom, and lantana montevidensis is in full blooms.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:27:59 AM by Alisdair »
Michel GAUTIER
MGS Member
My garden is a mediterranean garden located in South Est of France and you can visit it at this address : www.jardinsud.fr

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Cyprus v.v. wet
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 05:24:50 PM »
Last night's continuous rain and hail added 2inches to my swimming pool. The lower ground in the valleys was still quite saturated, so most of that emerged as runoff in the river bed. I can see the river from my study window, and I can more or less see the water level rising. Never seen it this high before - the valley bottom is becoming braided with swirling ruddy muddy water. Three of the reservoirs in Cyprus are full, others are filling ahead of their rate last year. Touch wood, my runoff management measures are working. But there are many bits of road and river bank round-about that are suffering from minor slippages.
Piccies:
1. the old road between Polis and Prodromi, being swamped
2. the broad swathe passing under the new bridge - coping so far...
3. churning water
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:42:47 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John

Re: Weather
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 12:39:16 AM »
Mike quite exiting. The first one almost looks like tufa. Or roots, not water!
John

John

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 12:40:17 AM »
Did any of you see the snow fall in the Sahara on the news. Amazing.
John

John J

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 06:01:06 AM »
Great to see, Mike, I haven't seen the Kouris (our local river) running like that since they dammed it in the late 80s. We've been getting more rain this year than we've had for a long time and I'm glad to hear that the smaller reservoirs in the Paphos area are on the point of overflowing. However, the larger ones here in Limassol are a long way off that and the overall capacity on the island is still only a little over 50%.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 08:01:28 AM »
David - snow in the Sahara - thanks for the heads up.
Not since 1979, apparently.
Curiously there are songs called 'Snow fall in the Sahara' and 'Snow in the Sahara'.
But of horticultural interest, buried in this summary, is a comment about snow being good for palms...
January 20, 2012 – BECHAR, Algeria - Snow fell Tuesday in the Sahara Desert in western Algeria. A 24-hour cold spell brought snow and rain to the region. Strong wind blew the snow across roads and buildings in the province of Bechar. Meteorologists predicted a return of good weather Wednesday. People who live in the region said the snow was good for the palm trees because it killed parasites. Bechar is located in the northern Sahara, about 36 miles south of the Moroccan border. –Nine News
(http://www.disclose.tv/forum/it-s-snowing-in-the-sahara-desert-t66161.html)

John - and the snow melt from the Troodos should be good this spring, too.
Mike

John J

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »
This morning being a nice bright day I drove up to the Kouris Dam (the largest on the island) to see what the level was. The first photo is of the dam itself and, I admit, doesn't give a clear indication of its current capacity. I carried on around the reservoir to the site of the old village of Alassa. This was abandoned and rebuilt on higher ground when the dam was built in the late 1980s. The second photo is of the old village church, taken this morning. The third photo was taken in March 2004 and is of the same church or, at least, all that could be seen of it. That year the Kouris, along with every other dam in Cyprus, overflowed for the first and only time.
I said the day was bright but it was still quite sharp and a hot dring would have been very welcome but, unfortunately, the kiosk was closed.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)