Iris

• 3 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Iris
« on: November 16, 2011, 10:36:33 AM »
For Oron's note on looking after Iris unguicularis click here. This Mediterranean iris is extremely adaptable, and as well as flowering in deep shade also flowers happily in full sun on a hot south-facing slope in our Greek garden. (As John has pointed out, if you divide the clumps the time for this is autumn.)
Another dependable iris for unwatered mediterranean-climate gardens, also happy in full sun and in partial shade, is Iris x germanica.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 11:06:10 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Iris vartanii
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 12:51:13 PM »
Ori Fragman has posted some pictures of Iris vartanii growing in the wild here; this species is similar to I. reticulata but much better suited to mediterranean conditions.
I do hope Ori succeeds in his efforts to bring it into more general cultivation. You can occasionally already find it available commercially, but only at a very high price!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 12:54:55 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Ina

• Email
Re: Iris
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 02:28:45 PM »
I had a walk the other day and i came across these beautiful irises... I think they are Iris tuberosa or Hermodactylus tuberosus. as far as I understood the name of genus kept changing.
I live in the west of Greece and have a small garden. I love flowers but I have few in my garden. I usually take pictures of flowers when I hike. I started making a blog with the flora that I see on my trips.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Iris
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:44:14 PM »
Yes you're right - and it is currently said to be an Iris, though I think almost everyone thinks of it as Hermodactylus still!
Alisdair Aird