red flowered gorse-like shrub [IDd as Noaea mucronata by JohnJ]

• 2 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
red flowered gorse-like shrub [IDd as Noaea mucronata by JohnJ]
« on: November 14, 2011, 02:42:11 PM »
This has been in flower for a few weeks now. Most of the year the plant is a blue-grey bush. It is quite common in western Cyprus, but much less so than the other prickly gorse/brooms (loosely speaking), which flower in spring. Some tiny flies seem very attracted to it at some times of the year.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:50:20 AM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

Re: red flowered gorse-like shrub
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 05:30:03 PM »
Mike, try Noaea mucronata.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: red flowered gorse-like shrub
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:22:25 PM »
That'll do nicely - thank you, John.
I am firmly in 'Division 1', sensu Meikle's Flora of Cyprus.
Meikle gives its distribution as divisions 2, 4-7.
The 'Contributions to the flora of Cyprus I', and the 'Supplementary notes to the flora of Cyprus II-VI' add divisions 3 and 8.
The 'Flora of Cyprus — a dynamic checklist' gives divisions 2,4-7. I have dropped Ralf Hand an email.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England