Petrea volubilis

• 20 Replies

HansA

Petrea volubilis
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:10:06 PM »
Petrea volubilis is for sure a fantastic climber - I am growing it now for three or four years but it did not produce any flower. The plant I got was a young plant - does anybody know with which age flowers can be expected?
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

John J

Re: Petrea volubilis
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 01:30:52 PM »
I took this photo in the Soller Botanical Gardens in Mallorca last month. Obviously, I have no idea how old the plant is.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 05:53:58 PM »
I was intrigued by this climber as well, I had never before seen it and thought the blue flowers were fantastic. I wish i could grow it in Halkidiki, but I doubt if it is hardy enough, it says that it will survive temperatures in the lower 30's to upper 20's for short periods of time. I spent a lot of time looking at the same plant that John showed in his photo, and I discovered that there were only a few flowers, what you see are mainly the sepals which remain on the plant for weeks, while the flower lasts only a few days, but I found some that I got a shot of.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 05:59:13 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alevin

• La Mortella
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 09:03:55 AM »
Well, the first one I got was a three year old plant, already in what they call here "flowering force" and it actually flowered the same year, and then every year more. . It climbs on a very sunny and warm rock face. As for the others, one is in a half shade position, and it does bloom less, even though the plant  is quite big; another is in a big pot, and it blooms on top of the upper branches, where it receives direct sun. So, I woudl say, make sure your plant gets a lot of sun rays, and wait just a little more!
Alessandra - Garden Director- Giardini La Mortella, Ischia, zone 9-10

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 09:14:26 AM »
Beautiful photo Jorun, this is definitely going on my "wants" list, :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

HansA

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 09:41:13 AM »
Thanks a lot Alessandra! The first two years it hardly grow and lost some leaves in winter but this year it made a shoot of 4 meters - it is growing at a southeast facing wall so it should get enough sun and flowering may start next year. I wondered if it behaves like Wisteria where the seedlings need many years before starting to flower.

Thanks John and Jorun - exactly the same plant in the botanical garden of Soller was the reason I wanted to try it when I saw it a few years ago - had my doubts earlier as it always is mentioned as tropical species.
(Unfortunately I could not participate in the MGS meeting this year, apart of seeing this beautiful plant in the bg it would have been very interesting to meet so many forumist.)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 10:02:07 AM by HansA »
landscape architect

HansA

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 09:58:34 PM »
The plant suffered because of the strong winter, but finally it started to flower. :)
landscape architect

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 06:46:12 AM »
Hans - it is good to know it survived the hard winter, even if it did suffer. For me, that makes all the difference in deciding whether to get one or not. You must be pleased, and looking forward to more of those lovely blue flowers.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 06:51:06 AM »
Hans, seems that you manage to grow every thing in your garden ;)

A few years ago i was on a visit to Burle Marx house in Rio D.J..
The southern part of his house was covered by both color forms of Petrea, white and purple, growing together, a stunning combination!
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 06:53:15 AM »
Mike, it should do very well in Polis. it just prefer a place protected from strong winds.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »
Thanks Oron.

Actually, I am just connecting steel cables to my car port to help stabilize it in the future gales :)
We get some very strong winds here (Coptic storms, etc.)

But I do have a relatively sheltered ugly grey block wall partly surrounding an agricultural water tank (retaining a bank), where the Petraea might be happy and do a good job of improving the aesthetics.... I just wonder about the wisdom of planting it close to a water tank: would the roots search out the tank and rupture the (concrete) base?
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 03:36:58 PM »
But I do have a relatively sheltered ugly grey block wall partly surrounding an agricultural water tank (retaining a bank), where the Petraea might be happy and do a good job of improving the aesthetics.... I just wonder about the wisdom of planting it close to a water tank: would the roots search out the tank and rupture the (concrete) base?

Mike, sounds like a perfect place,
In my experience this species is not agressive at all!

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 08:53:21 PM »
Thank you again, Oron.
Now I just need to get some...
Mike

HansA

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 03:15:30 PM »
Thanks a lot for your comments Mike and Oron!

It grows here very protected from winds at a southeast facing wall - first years it grew very slowly. Now something faster (but much slower than Parthenocissus, Clematis or other climber. It normally looses the leaves in winter here. 
Oron, I wish you would be right - unfortunately it is not the case  ;)
Hope to be able to visit the House of Burle Max in future (not only because of Petrea) -
landscape architect

pamela

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 06:10:41 PM »
I collected some seeds in the Seychelles in February and now I have some ( about 10) strong seedlings coming through.  They do need heat and a nick in the seed to germinate.  It is a beautiful plant and I hope they will do well for me......... I have some more seeds if anyone would like some.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar