Science and the mediterranean gardener

• 21 Replies

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Science and the mediterranean gardener
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 09:14:38 AM »
A report published recently in "The Plant Cell"  reported work with blood oranges.  These contain a red pigment known as anthocyanins, which also occur in plants, and which are believed to have health properties which include combating obesity and reducing heart disease.  Scientists have identified the "ruby" gene responsible for the blood orange red.

The report goes on to say that blood oranges can only be reliably grown on the foothills of Mount Etna in Italy since they require a cold period. As a result blood orange juice is scarce and expensive.

Scientists believe that through simple genetic modification blood oranges could be grown in more reliable climates such as Florida and Brasil bringing improved health properties to orange juice.

A test batch of genetically created blood oranges is currently being grown in Valencia, Spain.

MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »
It will be interesting to see how many mediterranean growers of blood oranges agree with the idea that the foothills of Mount Etna are the only place for them to colour reliably!
Our own very small experience - just one tree - is that the juice does colour splendidly and pretty reliably. We are just a few minutes' walk from the coast in the extreme south of Greece, so we normally don't get real cold; typically the coldest winter night is not below plus 4C. (But it's true that our fruit does not start colouring until the very mildest weather has passed, so as the fruit is ripe in January there is the risk that a very mild early winter can delay colouring.) 
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 07:24:49 PM »
This year I have planted a grapefruit 'Rio Red'.
...Which obviously makes me wonder about similarities with blood oranges.
It is at 99m altitude, so won't get the Etna-style winter chilling. I will keep my fingers crossed that it will fruit as expected.
There's an interesting bit on red grapefruit here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit#Ruby_Red_grapefruit.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 01:41:14 PM »
This was reported yesterday.  Let`s hope its the answer to bee decline`:

""Highly contagious honey bee virus transmitted by mites

Researchers at the University of Sheffield have discovered a parasitic mite has caused the Deformed Wing Virus to proliferate in honey bee colonies.

This association is now thought to contribute to the world-wide spread and probable death of millions of honey bee colonies. The current monetary value of honey bees as commercial pollinators in the United States alone is estimated at about $15-$20 billion annually.

The research conducted in Hawaii by researchers from the University of Sheffield, the Marine Biological Association, the Food and Environment Research Agency and the University of Hawaii, and reported in the journal Science, showed how the Varroa mite caused Deformed Wing Virus (DWV) – a known viral pathogen – to increase its frequency among honey bee colonies from 10 per cent to 100 per cent.

This change was accompanied by a million-fold increase in the number of virus particles infecting each honey bee and a massive reduction in viral strain diversity leading to the emergence of a single virulent DWV strain.

Dr Stephen Martin, of the University of Sheffield’s Department of Animal and Plant Sciences
said: “Just 2,000 mites can cause a colony containing 30,000 bees to die. The mite is the biggest problem worldwide for bee keepers; it’s responsible for millions of colonies being killed.

“Understanding the changing viral landscape that honey bees and other pollinators face will help beekeepers and conservationists worldwide protect these important insects. We have discovered what happens at the start of an infection. The goal is to understand how the infection comes about so that we can control it.

“Deformed Wing Virus is naturally transmitted in bees through feeding or sex but the mites change the disease so it becomes more deadly, shortening the bees’ lives."

As the mite and new virulent strain of the virus becomes established across the Hawaiian Islands the new emerging viral landscape will mirror that found across the rest of the world where the Varroa mite is now established.

This ability of a mite to permanently alter the honey bee viral landscape may by a key factor in the recent colony collapse disorder (CCD) and over-wintering colony losses (OCL) as the virulent pathogen strain remains even after the mites are removed.

The University of Sheffield invested £4 million in an environment research facility which has been purpose built for honey bee research and aligns to the central idea of Project Sunshine − to harness the power of the sun to tackle the biggest challenges facing the world today.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 07:05:17 AM »
We are new to Beekeeping and last winter lost all our bees as did an experienced neighbour who has been helping us. I have been following your postings David with great interest and passing on info to our neighbour. Thanks very much. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Bracey

• Email
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »
SOIL CRUSTS

A note published in the MGS Science Newsletter, 2011 described the value of mulches in fynbos soils (these occur in the Cape region of South Africa) and explained that some mulches encouraged the build-up of damping-off diseases leading to plant failure. Unmulched soils appeared not to have these problems.
MGS member G. Klein has now sent new research by Mandy Williams of the American Society of Agronomy and Soil Science which describes the complex blend of microorganisms carpeting arid environments as biological soil crusts (BSC). These organisms fuse with soil particles, stabilizing desert crusts and forming fragile peaks in the soil that influence a variety of processes. Williams says, "These crusts…act like a living mulch across a desert, by protecting the surface from erosion. Once you disturb the soil surface, you're more likely to lose what little resources are available there."
Micromorphological investigations of BSC samples from the Mojave Desert show that a crust begins with cyanobacteria, a phylum of photosynthetic bacteria. These bacteria form smooth crusts on the desert surface and strengthen soil structure by sealing off the surface to effects of erosion. Wet/dry cycles cause this newly formed crust to expand and contract, leaving cracks in the crust that trap dust as it blows over the desert surface. This dust is an important source of nutrients.
Meanwhile, cyanobacteria weave around particles in the soil, forming thick layers of fine grains by trapping sediments in a sticky casing. Over many years, these bacteria-soil mixtures grow into jagged micro-peaks that accrete more dust and continue to evolve. These peaks are extremely fragile and sensitive to physical impacts such as vehicles, foot traffic, and grazing. BSC also impacts water distribution in arid environments. Fine dust particles settle and pockets of air form beneath the soil. These cavities trap water at the surface to be used by soil microbes and desert plants when it's needed most.
This new research reveals, that recovery of valuable BSC after a disturbance, can take years, depending on several environmental factors. Williams.says, "These crusts form important features that must be considered, not only for the restoration of crusts, but for entire desert ecosystems in the future."
(Note for mediterranean gardeners: keep cultivations to an absolute minimum in order to conserve soil moisture)

MGS member.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »
v. interesting David - thank you
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England