Autumn Blooming in N Israel

• 12 Replies

fragman

Autumn Blooming in N Israel
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:33:02 AM »
After strong two rain storms in the north of the country, countless autumnal bulbs are in bloom.
We were lucky to see in one day : 4 different Corcuses, 3 Colchicums, 2 Sterngergias, 1 Biarum and 1 Cyclamen.
Ori Fragman-Sapir
Jerusalem Botanical Gardens

fragman

Re: Autumn Blooming in N Israel
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:38:17 AM »
Slopes are Mt Hermon are full of Crocus hermoneus, Crocus pallasii and Colchicum antilibanoticum.
In the wet Man Valley we found Colchicum szovitsii and Crocus ochroleucus.
In addition we enjoyed beautiful autumn foliage and ate Sinai hawthorn red fruits as well as Spiny Hawthorn (tastied) yellow fruits.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:46:03 AM by fragman »
Ori Fragman-Sapir

fragman

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:42:43 AM »
In the Golan Heights the narrow endemic Biarum auraniticum was found in a new site. Coclhicum feinbruniae (tesselated) and Sternbergia clusiana clumps are still in bloom in the shade of trees. Nice bony Syrian pears drop on the ground , "waiting" for an extinct animal (Syrian bear) to disperse them.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:10:13 PM by fragman »
Ori Fragman-Sapir

fragman

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 11:45:10 AM »
In the Eastern Galilee (Cahal) we found - autumnal leafless Cyclamen persicum and the tiny Sternbergia colchiciflora. Mt Tabor oak acorns are just ripe, either fall under the trees or dispersed by jays and rodents.
Ori Fragman-Sapir

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 12:38:05 PM »
I am so envious, I wish I was there. Your photos are wonderful.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 01:46:16 PM »
Thank you for these magnificent images. I was not a big fan of bulbs before, but I am going to look at them with much more interest in the future ..
Michel GAUTIER
MGS Member
My garden is a mediterranean garden located in South Est of France and you can visit it at this address : www.jardinsud.fr

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:46:50 PM »
Very nice, Ori
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »
Terrific pictures, Ori, and of such prized rarities; thanks so much.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
I have grown Sternbergia colchiciflora now for two years and it hasn't flowered. It has however set seed! I assume that it produced fruits underground without actually flowering. The only explanation! Any observations?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

fragman

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 07:13:02 PM »
Thanks all !
I forgot to upload the picture of Biarum auraniticum, and done that now here.
John, Sternbergia colchiciflora indeed doesn't flower every year, some plants are just not flowering and will do so as soon as their bulb  is large enough, other will bloom underground and self-pollinate. Fruits will develop only in wet seasons. Another option is that your plants are in a too shaded situation.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:10:15 AM by Alisdair »
Ori Fragman-Sapir

John

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »
Wondered whether that might be the case. Not much hope in our climate really.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

HansA

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 11:14:06 PM »
Great pictures, Ori! Thanks a lot for sharing them!
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

Bulbissime

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 06:55:40 PM »
As always, nice pics and species ori.
This year, Sternbergia colchiciflora didn't bloom here, and it usually never open like yours.
But my favorite one is Biarum auraniticum that I missed again this year both in israel and Syria...