seaside perennial [IDd by Alisdair and Oron as Cakile maritima]

• 5 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
seaside perennial [IDd by Alisdair and Oron as Cakile maritima]
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
I feel I ought to know what this is, but am blinded by thoughts of Matthiola.
It is fairly common along the coast between Latchi and Polis, and probably other places. and in good flower now. It tends to occur at the top end of the beach, in company with Eryngium et al. It forms loose mounds perhaps 30cm tall.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:14:08 AM by Alisdair »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Cali

Re: seaside perennial
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:54:10 AM »
Why do you rule out Matthiola sinuata, that's what I've always assumed it is.
Cali Doxiadis
Former MGS President
Gardens in Corfu, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 01:22:33 PM »
Hi Cali, thanks for your thoughts.
I rule out Mattiola because of several characters, gleaned from Meikle's Flora of Cyprus, eg.
- flowers distinctly pedicillate, pedicels 5-10mm long
- upper parts of stems and leaves densely grey-tomentose
- flowers Feb-May
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 07:36:19 PM »
Hard to tell from the photo but I'd say Cakile maritima (Sea Rocket), if any of the leaves lower down were lobed; though that's an annual it can look more like a perennial.
Both the possible Matthiolas, tricuspidata as well as sinuata, are too obviously downy, unless Mike's been shaving it  ;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 07:43:24 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 08:24:36 PM »
As Alisdair says, it is Cakile maritima.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:55:35 AM »
Excellent, thanks guys!
I note that Meikle's Flora of Cyprus has its flowering period as Feb-July, and not present in my area.
But one of the supplements to Meikle adds my area (division 1), and the Flowers in Israel web site gives the flowering period as up to October, so that's just about OK.
Mike