Can anybody identify this? ID'd by Oron as Vernonia, perhaps V. gigantea

• 9 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Firstly, apologies if this message pops up 2 or 3 times - I have been trying to send it with a photo attached but the image was too large. However, on my final attempt with the image an acceptable "the computer says you've already sent this message". Let's see :-)

The plant is in the Rome Botanical Gardens. It's about 2m high. Lots of long thin stems coming from a central point which branch a little as they get towards the top. Mostly seed heads now but still some flowers.

Once it is identified I will send the seeds I collected to the MGS seed exchange for anybody who might be interested in growing it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 08:00:34 AM by Alisdair »
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

pamela

Re: Can anybody identify this plant for me?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 08:10:02 AM »
Caryopteris x clandonensis??
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:43:00 AM »
That was my first thought Pamela but the leaves are not right - Caryopteris has smaller leaves with regularly indented edges - at least mine does :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Jill S

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 10:10:18 AM »
Caryopteris but perhaps just not Caryopteris x clandonensis 'Heavenly Blue'?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:38:48 AM by JillS »
Member of RHS and MGS. Gardens in Surrey, UK and, whenever I get the chance, on Paros, Greece where the learning curve is not the only thing that's steep.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 12:05:16 AM »
Thank you for your replies so far. Very helpful. :)

Here is another picture showing the seed heads.

The plant seemed much more open than the images I have found on the internet following your suggestions.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 07:39:26 PM »
David,

It was not easy to tell the family, but finally i realised it is a compositae!
From there i arrived to the genus Vernonia [might be gigantea], but i'm afraid i can not tell which species from your photos.
It has a suphisticated structure as the pollen [anthers] are located at the base of the style.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:11:33 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Can anybody identify this? ID'd by Oron as Vernonia, perhaps V. gigantea
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 11:34:13 PM »
Thanks for the solution.  :)

Will get the seeds off to seed exchange asap. Currently sorting out the seeds from asteriscus maritimus also to send to the seed exchange. They are delaying things a little as they are small and not so easy to separate!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 07:36:56 AM »
David, When you send the seeds of the "asteriscus", please will you label them as Pallenis maritima (syn. Asteriscus maritimus), as that's the currently accepted name.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »
Will do. Thanks for the info. :)

John

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 02:59:59 PM »
It could also possibly be Vernonia altissima? Difficult to tell isn't it without more structural details.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.