Zinnias

• 2 Replies

Daisy

Zinnias
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:29:10 AM »
I have had a number of losses this year due to powdery mildew. :(
Does anyone know of a seed strain that is resistant to this? Even just a little resistance would help.  Thanks, Daisy :)
Amateur gardener, who has gardened in Surrey and Cornwall, England, but now has a tiny garden facing north west, near the coast in north east Crete. It is 300 meters above sea level. On a steep learning curve!!! Member of both MGS and RHS

Re: Zinnias
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
I've never known zinna's to NOT have powdery mildew, even when grown in full hot sun. I think watering from below, as in flooding the ground underneath the plants might help. There are products, in the USA but not here in Tunisia, that are supposed to work for mildew but I've never tried them. It's my recollection that the mildew often as not comes on as the plant is quite mature, no idea why.
Patrick D. Batchelder

Living in the beach suburb of Tunis, La Marsa, Tunisia after almost 40 years in Boulder, Colorado, USA. A life-long "cactophile" I have been collecting and growing since I was 13. I live here permanently now but likely will travel around, hopefully to visit some of you!

Fermi

• Email
Re: Zinnias
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 02:29:03 PM »
It's been ages since I've grown zinnias but I saw some "mini-zinnias" as flowering-pots for sale and succumbed!
A few of them petered out early but these yellow ones persisted and the an orange seedling appeared as well!
There are more seedlings but unfortunately most will probably get killed by frosts before they flower
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!