Arbutus

• 24 Replies

John J

Arbutus
« on: November 01, 2011, 03:30:05 PM »
A young Arbutus andrachne lit by the setting sun.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 06:51:28 PM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John

Re: Arbutus andrachne
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:17:42 PM »
This is quite uncommon on Crete especially compared with A. unedo. I was surprised to find that unlike A. unedo the fruits had quite a bit of flavour to them which was not unpleasant.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Arbutus andrachne
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:54:17 PM »
John J, that shows how beautiful the bark is on even a young plant.
Quite easily grown both from seed and from cuttings; we found that seed-grown plants quickly overtook ones grown at the same time from cuttings.
(I changed the title of the topic from the species to the genus, so that it could include other arbutuses.)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

Re: Arbutus
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 12:08:58 AM »
One could say Arbuti!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 08:08:04 AM »
Interesting question, John! It's one of those things like cactuses/cacti, cyclamen/cyclamena (which no-one uses in English but is the equivalent of your arbuti)/cyclamens... or I suppose tomayto/tomahto!
My own feeling is that when I'm talking in English (rather than Latin or Greek), the natural plural to give a plant name is the automatic English one - eg alliums rather than allia, etc.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:37:34 AM »
Using English (or French/German/etc.) plurals also gets over the issue of epithets composed of both Latin and Greek components. Eg. with Viola alliariaefolia / V. Viola alliariaefolia the correct singular spelling is unclear, but if the latter is used, should the plural be V. alliariifoliae or V. alliariifolii?
The Anglicized viola alliariifolias avoids the problem, but makes it even more of a dog's breakfast!
(To save you looking, the Viola alliariaefolia is missing from The Plant List, V. alliariaefolia is 'unresolved'.)

Re Arbuti: http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000809.html and http://www.telusplanet.net/public/alfvaen/latin.html
...more of a minefield than one might imagine...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:42:25 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Bolanthus

• Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 05:19:13 PM »
One of the most beautiful shrubs I have ever seen is Arbutus unedo. And this is the time of year where you could find plants so happily decorated with orange and red fruits next to the campanulate new flowers that are produced simultaneously. Well, after eating at least 2 handfuls of fruits I gathered about two kilos for my folks. My mother was ecstatic and is now making marmelade as I write this lines -for her first time with this kind of fruit. Lets wait and see what happens :-)

Arbutus unedo from Mt Hymettus 17/11/2012

Fresh leaves in late spring (+Hypericum empetrifolium + Cistus creticus)

Also from Hymettus, Arbutus andrachne (I couldn't reach the fruits to taste them)

Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 
my blog on Greek Flora: ROSA SEMPERVIRENS

pamela

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »
I agree Bolanthus..its a beautiful and tough shrub.  It does very well here on our poor soil.
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Alice

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 07:18:13 PM »
Gorgeous photos - I am also very fond of Arbutus, the shrub and the fruit.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 07:41:16 AM »
Bolanthus. Your photos of Arbutus are wonderful. Those sweet little bells. It really is the prince/princess of the Ericaceae.

Your reports of your botanical finds are so interesting. Keep it up.

Once in Puglia I tried a marmellata made from Arbutus. As I have spent a lifetime enjoying Seville Orange and also Cumquat marmelade, the Arbutus had little or no taste. I am sure your mother's jam will be better.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 12:04:35 AM »
Bolanthus - nicely decorated trees - I would call them bebaubled.

I have grown A. unedo in the UK, where after a few years from seed, it formed a well behaved shrub - responding to pruning well. Here in Cyprus, A. andrachne is native, though absent from lower altitudes as a wild plant. It, too, is amenable to pruning, including exposing the trunk(s), which become a lovely cinnamon colour with age and often develop sinuous shapes. In several respects, they fill the same niche as manzanita does in chaparral parts of the mountains of western North America.

Manzanita covers almost a hundred species of Arctostaphylos, most of which grow in a mediterranean climate. Like the related Arbutus, the berries (and flowers) of most species are reported to be edible (not checked by me). Note: 'manzanita' translates from Spanish as 'little apple' - which could also described the fruit of Arbutus.

I have wandered off into manzanitas to give them a little airing on this forum, since they (like Arbutus) are eminently suited to our mediterranean gardening - being tough, tolerant of drought and heat, and with attractive bark, structure, flowers, fruit and foliage, and with some culinary uses.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Bolanthus

• Email
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 01:35:03 PM »
Bolanthus. Your photos of Arbutus are wonderful. Those sweet little bells. It really is the prince/princess of the Ericaceae.

Your reports of your botanical finds are so interesting. Keep it up.

Once in Puglia I tried a marmellata made from Arbutus. As I have spent a lifetime enjoying Seville Orange and also Cumquat marmelade, the Arbutus had little or no taste. I am sure your mother's jam will be better.

Thank you Joanna :-) 
About mom's marmalade, it was a disaster ...many unpleasant seeds and nothing really special. She totally regretted that she didn't keep the fruits in the refrigerator for healthy snacks
Aris Zografidis
A lot of interest for the mediterranean flora and for the water wise gardening –but no garden yet. 
my blog on Greek Flora: ROSA SEMPERVIRENS

ritamax

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »
Arbutus unedo doesn't seem to be often sold in garden centers here, but I saw some small plants now. How much space is needed for one, how fast does it grow in a dry, hot climate, can one estimate it a little bit?
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise

JTh

• Email
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »
I have one A. unedo bush which I bought from a local nursery some years ago. There have been no problems at all with this one, it grows slowly, but steadily, and seems to accept the poor, dry soil very well; the dark green leaves look good all the time. So far, it has not had any flowers.

According to the books, it is said that they may reach a height of 12 m, but I have never seen any taller than 3 m around here (and up to 1, 5 m wide), where they are growing naturally, and there are lots of them. One of my favourites, and it does not need much water.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 01:25:32 PM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

ritamax

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »
Thanks a lot, John! I saw a beautiful specimen in a show garden, which was trained as a tree and was about 3m high and very broad, probably 3m, but it must have been then very old and systematically pruned. 
Hobbygardener (MGS member) with a rooftop garden in Basel and a garden on heavy clay with sand 600m from seaside in Costa Blanca South (precipitation 300mm), learning to garden waterwise