Aloe

• 35 Replies

John

Re: Aloe
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »
I couldn't resist buying this the other day, it wasn't expensive anyway. Aloe rauhii 'Snowflake'. I love foliage with markings and this one is lovely.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

andrewsloan

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »
 I have just bought a bunch of aloe & agave seeds from www.koehres-kaktus.de, with small packets in the €1 range, which is very reasonable.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 07:55:37 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Andrew; I've looked at their website and have added them to the forum's Supplier List.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

andrewsloan

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 06:14:29 PM »
Could I ask for advice re the level of PH in the water and earth. We have a very alkaline soil, 8.17 PH and our water PH is also 8. I have quite a lot of small aloes & agaves growing from seed , and am thinking that it would be better to adjust the pH down to 7, perhaps by filling water in a plastic barrel and adding vinegar for when I give them their weekly watering. Any thoughts?

ezeiza

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 08:47:07 PM »
You mention buying seeds which of course will have to be sown, certainly not on earth, but on a very gritty mix that would allow for perfect drainage. It will be probably be useful to use neutral water until germination takes place but from then on, such plants are very tough and can use water of almost any condition. As a matter of fact, they will not thrive on moisture.

John

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »
Agaves certainly need root room to grow. I have a few specimens I have kept in pots for many years and they survive but don't grow in size. So get them moving and get them in the ground. As soon as possible.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

andrewsloan

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 09:21:13 AM »
For my potting mixture to germinate aloe seeds, I use a mixture of 50% river sand for good drainage & 50% compost/earth. Last year I got good results by putting the seeds on top of this mixture in small seed trays, cover with a fine layer of sand, soak in a tray of water and then leave in a clear plastic bag in the shade with plenty of light. This year I am trying some agave seeds as well (Macroacantha, Chiapensis, Havardiana, Bracteosa & Parryi v Chihuahua). Thank you John for starting me off with my first Agave, your Parryi from Arizona (now planted out).

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
Would one of our experts kindly give me a name for this Aloe in the garden at Sparoza?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Aloe arborescens
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 07:13:27 AM »
Looks like Aloe arborescens, Fleur.
If it is, it's so easy to propagate that if you take a good-sized piece off, it'll still root if you leave it dry and forget to plant it until months later.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:39:37 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 07:58:30 AM »
Thanks, Alisdair. I'm doing plant identifications of Vina's stills for use in the Sparoza film so I'll be checking up quite a bit on names.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 08:31:33 AM »
I realise there have been no postings on this thread for some time but we are starting to re-organise an area of our garden to include more succulents. This newly acquired Aloe ferox is just part of the process.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

andrewsloan

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 06:28:58 PM »
Aloe ferox is one of the most beautiful aloes. Mine are also starting to form their flower stalks in Spain

andrewsloan

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 10:29:09 AM »
There are 3 more aloes in the Plant Galleries: dichotoma (the best specimen I have seen in cultivation), vaombe and bulbillifera, from a recent visit to Lanzarote and Tenerife

Hilary

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2018, 07:01:07 AM »
What a collection of photos of Aloes.
I am still finding my way round the 'new' website and had not opened this section .
Congratulations
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2018, 03:53:19 PM »
Andrew, the aloe in my photo above was sold to us as A. ferox but from your pictures in the Plant Galleries it looks more like A. aculeata. Can you shed some light on this, please?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)