Yiannos Orphanos, Cyprus nurseryman and MGS member

• 2 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Yiannos Orphanos, Cyprus nurseryman and MGS member
« on: November 10, 2011, 10:19:38 PM »
I had a very pleasant surprise this afternoon...
I had a phone call from Yiannos, saying he was in my area and he had the plants I had ordered (a dozen Phyla filiformis).
Granted, it was some while ago that I ordered them, but that was no problem. So we had a very nice chat. And when I went to pay him, he said I owed him nothing; it was a welcome to the MGS :)
Oh - and the plants: there were about 100 of them, and they came in a very nice earthenware tray :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:07:59 PM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

Re: Yiannos Orphanos, Cyprus nurseryman and MGS member
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 07:09:33 AM »
Mike, that's typical of the man. Those who attended the AGM 2009 here in Cyprus will have met Yiannos and remember what an invaluable contribution he made to that event.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Yiannos Orphanos, Cyprus nurseryman and MGS member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 03:13:09 PM »
Yiannos very kindly gave Helena and me some Cyclamen cyprium seeds, at that meeting; one flowered for the first time last month, a year or two sooner than we'd have expected.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society