Reseda odorata

• 1 Replies

John

Reseda odorata
« on: July 01, 2011, 07:00:13 PM »
I thought that I would mention a pot I have of Reseda odorata which came from seed that I collected at Matala in on the south coast of central Crete. This is a seemingly scarce species, certainly in the wild in Greece. Although it is an annual I believe in the strictest sense in that it completes it's life cycle in one season and then seeds and dies a pot I have is now three years old. The original plants die back to almost nothing but have managed to come back for two years now. I have also experienced this with Eschscholzia californica in London on a rockery.
Whilst in Catalonia in May I came across another Reseda which I think I identified correctly as R. phyteuma. At first I was convinced that I had found R. odorata as they were highly scented with the same perfume. I recall that R. phyteuma is supposed to not be scented (from memory). Then on checking my notes I also found some where I could not detect a scent but I'm sure they were all R. phyteuma!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Reseda phyteuma
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 08:08:37 PM »
One of those plants which look nothing special - until you get really close. The tiny flowers are well worth a close-up look (and they are generally scented). It will take hot dry summers in its stride.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society