Euphorbia

• 52 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Euphorbia
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2012, 09:05:07 AM »
Yes, we have missed you too Alisdair, now it looks as if you are living up to your "title"  -  The Skivvy  - and putting everything in order :) Look forward to more intersting postings about your trip.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 09:20:05 AM »
Thanks, Carol! (I've been really enjoying reading about your new place.)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Alice

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2012, 08:22:44 PM »
That Euphorbia bourgeana looks stunning growing as a standard, Alisdair.
Amateur gardener who has gardened in north London and now gardens part of the year on the Cycladic island of Paros. Conditions: coastal, windy, annual rainfall 350mm, temp 0-35 degrees C.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2012, 09:48:05 AM »
Yes it did - it was in Di and James Wark's lovely garden, in the Barossa Valley, Stonewell Farm.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2013, 06:57:50 PM »
Cyprus. I have grown a species of Euphorbia which is allegedly from the Akamas region of Cyprus. The seeds came from rareplants.de as sp.001.
At nearly a year old and with some protection they have grown to about 60cm tall and have a couple of shoots at their base. They have the "feel" of Euphorbia characias but also seem different. The leaves are covered in a velvety down of hairs. No sign of buds developing on any of them.
I have just looked up what it could be in the Flora of Cyprus and am guessing that it is Euphorbia thompsonii which also occurs in Turkey. Mike can you confirm this or have any observations please?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

John J

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »
John, impossible to say from the photo but if it is one of the Euphorbia that grow in Cyprus then E thompsonii is the most likely. It occurs on the Akamas peninsular and in the region of Pissouri village (between Paphos and Limassol).
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2013, 08:41:42 PM »
OK thanks John.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 08:33:08 AM »
John, I concur.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England