Thymus

• 3 Replies

JPB

Thymus
« on: November 03, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »
Thymus longiflorus is an Andalucian endemic and I found it in the Cabo de Gata area alongside a road. I took a smal plant home and it flowers profusely during summer and autumn. It is not a difficult plant (but needs frost protection) and can be easily propagated from cuttings in autumn. First picture is in habitat, second and third in culture. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:01:34 PM by Hans Pakker »

HansA

Thymus moroderi
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:02:56 PM »
Beautiful plant, Hans!

Here the similar Thymus moroderi, grown from seed. There are some other very beautiful Thymus species in spain - a pity they are hardly (if at all?) in cultivation.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:51:07 PM by HansA »
bulbgrower on the balearic islands, spain
landscape architect

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Cyprus thymes
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 06:19:32 PM »
Nice. We have neither of those in Cyprus :(
But the two species of thyme we do have are quite nice: T. integer, capitata.
Except I notice the latter has been reduced to a synonym, the correct name for it now being Thymbra capitata. (Poor thing - it has also been in Coridothymus, Origanum and Satureja.)
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JPB

Re: Thymus
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »
I don't think this long flowered thymes are found outside the Iberian peninsula. I know of one other species occurring in the Murcia region, T. murcicus, wich has paler flowers.

T. morodori could be seen as a subspecies of T. longiflorus.