Aphyllanthes monspeliensis

• 1 Replies

John

Aphyllanthes monspeliensis
« on: October 30, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
Aphyllanthes monspeliensis is a lovely herbaceous plant that we saw in quantity is Catalonia. Almost blue the fleeting flowers are produced over a period of time from the bracted inflorescences. Many years ago I collected seed of this in southern France and grew it successfully in a pot here in London. Eventually I planted it out on the rockery at work where it grew well and flowered for many more years which means that it is quite frost hardy.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

David Bracey

• Email
Re: Aphyllanthes monspeliensis
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
A monspeliensis grows in very large clumps in the garrigue close to Uzes.  It is quite spectacular having an "architectural" growth. I always thought it would make an excellent mass planting in the garden  or "couvre sol" in French.  I think I remember Jean saying that it was quite rare.
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.