Salvias

• 232 Replies

JTh

• Email
Re: Salvias
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »
Fleur, were you able to by Salvia chamaedryoides in Greece? If so, where?
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »
Salvia chamaedryoides duely noted; thanks folks.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 07:03:35 PM »
Thorun - MGS garden nursery, last year. Sally did cuttings from her mother plant. I'm going to try taking some cuttings this autumn if it stops flowering!
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 09:35:36 PM »
Salvia chamedrioides in my garden is blooming almost all the year, from january to december ! It is in full sun. This a picture that I made in november this year. It is a green foliage form, not grey foliage. I have tried to make cutting of this specie : is not easy...
Michel GAUTIER
MGS Member
My garden is a mediterranean garden located in South Est of France and you can visit it at this address : www.jardinsud.fr

pamela

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 07:15:47 PM »
Fleur,  that lovely S. chamaedryoides is so delightful with the Euryops. 
Jávea, Costa Blanca, Spain
Min temp 5c max temp 38c  Rainfall 550 mm 

"Who passes by sees the leaves;
 Who asks, sees the roots."
     - Charcoal Seller, Madagascar

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2014, 10:11:23 PM »
Has anyone grown Salvia 'Allen Chickering'? It has very pungent leaves.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Caroline

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 12:42:39 AM »
Can anyone give me some guidance as to how I should treat my Salvia cacaliifolia now that winter is here?  It was planted only a year ago, and has done really well in a modest sort of way. Should I cut it back?  If so by how much? My inclination is to take to it with the shears and reduce it by about half, but if there is an expert out there I would be glad to hear from them.  Frosts not an issue here... :)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 05:44:33 AM »
Not an answer, but of oblique relevance...

I see John Whittlesey has written a book on Salvias (reviewed in the RHS 'The Garden' magazine, Nov14, p.98).
I know John through violets, and am sure his book will have been well researched and based on a good amount of his own experience as a grower and nurseryman (in northern California).
'The Plant Lovers Guide to Salvias', 2014, Timber Press, 2014 220pp
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Your Salvia cacaliifolia
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »
Can anyone give me some guidance as to how I should treat my Salvia cacaliifolia now that winter is here?  It was planted only a year ago, and has done really well in a modest sort of way. Should I cut it back?  If so by how much? My inclination is to take to it with the shears and reduce it by about half, but if there is an expert out there I would be glad to hear from them.  Frosts not an issue here... :)
I'm no expert, Caroline, but yes, go ahead and cut it back as you suggest. It tends to sprawl, so that will keep it in shape.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Caroline

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 10:33:13 PM »
Thanks Alisdair - I gave it a haircut yesterday and noticed that new shoots are already starting to push up from the lower 'branches", so very timely.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 10:22:16 PM »
Does anybody grow Salvia pachyphylla? I saw in the plant supplier's list that you succumbed, Joanne. Has it fared well/lived up to expectations? Would it grow in a pot?

I bought John Whittlesey's book "The Plant Lover's Guide to Salvias" recently (lots of good offers on Amazon) having read Mike's comments above. It is full of tempting photos and lots of useful information.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Joanna Savage

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 02:11:16 PM »
Hello David, Sad to say the S. Pachyphylla was short lived under my watch, but I would like to try again.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 02:19:27 PM »
Thanks Joanne for the reply. Sorry to hear that it didn't last long. I might give it a try anyway  :-\
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 02:29:43 PM »
Apologies Joanna. Misspelled your name, or rather, got it wrong twice!

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 03:32:04 AM »
Hi David,
I had it growing for a number of years in a raised rock garden bed with little supplementary watering but I think it finally succumbed to either severe drought or unseasonal summer rain! I can't remember which - it was a few years ago.
I have a new plant from seed which will hopefully go into a new bed this year,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!