Salvias

• 232 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Salvias
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2021, 09:14:24 AM »
While I was searching the www for photos of S. x jamensis 'Nachtvindler" I came across this little video. Its main focus is on roses but it proposes using salvias undergrowing roses for a particular reason. https://www.sarahraven.com/products/salvia-x-jamensis-nachtvlinder?gclid=8a28a12c684613a63ed4c07875706ab1&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=8a28a12c684613a63ed4c07875706ab1&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DSA%20All%20Products%20-%20Non-Brand&utm_term=sarahraven&utm_content=All%20Products
Sarah Raven gives a different translation of 'Nachtvindler' to that given on the www, which says "night moth"
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2021, 09:16:58 AM »
ooopps! More direct link to the video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLfzO-_dCBo&t=8s
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2021, 07:37:04 PM »
Thank you David for the link. I watched the video twice. The roses are amazing but not suitable for this part of the Med. The Salvias were looking  great.  Getting water regularly and cooler weather does bring out the best of them. We have seen the difference this year between our Salvia leucantha. The ones that get some shade  have grown so much that they have blocked the path. They others are struggling to put out new leaves and flower stalks. Our Salvia 'Blue Note' that came from Marathon, has flowered twice since last October. Hopefully it will grow bigger during the Autumn.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2021, 08:03:43 AM »
I find the naming of many Salvia an absolute mine field- trying by photographs is useless as the colours vary so much from photograph to photograph
My Nachtvlinder came from The Lavendetta near Assisi which is pretty reliable regarding names. I have another jamensis that is a true blue purple ( name long gone) but Nachtvlinder certainly has plum tones
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2021, 10:24:25 AM »
I love your Salvia nachtvlinder. John showed it to me on the Istangram and the same day David put the link to Sarah Raven's Garden.  It is the right colour to match my other blue purple range that I have . As I said before, we can get only a limited type of Salvias. I got ours from cuttings or gifts from friends from abroad and orders from Gryllis Marathon. My year old seedlings died this year. Still I am thinking of ordering the seeds of the Nachtvlinder from Sarah Raven and saw them in the autumn. Of course the best idea is to go to Marathon and bring some back.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Salvias, salvia Salgoon 'Lake Ladoga'
« Reply #215 on: October 01, 2021, 04:36:22 PM »
This posting could easily have gone onto "New acquisitions".  I bought it about a month ago on a whim in a chain store, knowing nothing about its needs. Inexcusably,  I accidently neglected it, with results as shown in the second photo after 2 days without water. My immediate reaction after seeing it in that state after only 2 days was that it was not a salvia for Mediterranean summers!  I cut it back and now it is back to as shown in the 4th photo, kept in dappled shade. Let's see what happens next year but so far I haven't had to water it any more than my S. 'Amistad'. I think I will stand it at the base of the 'Amistad' as the pale lilac is perfect with the dark purple of 'Amistad'. The flower is not as pinky as it appears in my photo.

It seems it will survive my winter. There is little information about it on the www but here is something.  Even the professional photo here is a little more pinky than in reality.
https://middletonnurseries.co.uk/salvia/salvia-salgoon-lake-ladoga

Charithea

« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2021, 08:12:07 AM »
Some Salvias surprise me.  I am happy and surprised that my Salvia Amistad despite the dry heat that sucks the moisture out of its leaves has survived in the ground for the second summer with very little shade and  the two in their pots.  I have to admit that I needed to water it Every day and the ones in the pot in the shade sometimes twice a day. Frustrating at times especially if I had a busy day and forgot to check.  They will go in the ground as soon as the temperature drops. They unfortunately get invaded by the ants but still are defiant.  The Love n Wishes are also thriving but in the ground in a partly shaded area. The leaves of your new acquisition show that  it would be unhappy in direct sunlight but one never knows!!!  The colour combination of the two will be good.  Good luck David.

Charithea

« Reply #217 on: October 09, 2021, 12:46:27 PM »
This Salvia leucantha 'Midnight' is one of my favourites.  It was taken early this morning  from the outside of the garden in Galata. 

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2021, 08:16:02 AM »
That Salvia leucantha is stunning Charithea- mine is just coming into bud..... after having to be watered this summer to keep it going.......
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2021, 01:35:33 PM »
It is stunning. I know that the Salvia leucantha 'Midnight' came from Italy  on a special consignment.  I have seen them growing out in the 'wild' where houses have been build for the foreign market. Unfortunately the Nurseries don't bring them to Cyprus only garden designers. David, that wonderful man, had send me twice  young plants and  Yiannos gave me one. All three  did not have time to settle before the hot summer got them.  Now I have a small one, that came from the same garden as the above Salvia , sheltering from the hot sun  under the big avocado tree. One day I might be able to post a photo.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2021, 06:50:12 AM »
My 'Midnight' came from David last year and I was desperate to keep it going hence the helping hand with the occasional watering - not something I usually do once things are established but this summer was the hottest I have experienced since coming to Italy over twenty years ago. Plenty of rain now- just need a bit of sunshine to help those buds open🙄

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Salvias - Salvia eizi-matudae
« Reply #221 on: November 22, 2021, 02:40:49 AM »
This is a salvia I bought last year. It survived last winter and needed little water this summer. What I noticed this year is that the leaves are at least 4 or 5 times bigger than last year. Its roots are in shade but the leaves have been in full sun all year. I read that it was a winter flowerer, and I am hoping it will keep on giving me flowers over December/January. Let's see.

Charithea

« Reply #222 on: November 28, 2021, 06:14:35 PM »
Photos of the Salvia brought from Marathon.  I put them in the containers and left them out at night to recover from being packed among my clothes.  We planted them in the bare areas and we put sticks around them to prevent the cats digging them up.  Of course if our big fat cat runs through them that is another matter.  I have also managed to acquire a Wigandia caracasana.  We first saw one in bloom in Morocco and I wanted one.  I hope to post photos with flowers on it next year.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 11:14:46 AM by Charithea »

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2021, 08:40:52 AM »
Obviously a rewarding trip Charithea after so long being unable to travel. Hope all your purchases flourish and bring back happy memories

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2021, 11:58:47 AM »
We've never had much luck with Salvia sclarea before but this one has managed to reach the flowering stage - I hope it sets seed!
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!