Salvias

• 232 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Salvias
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2020, 07:25:32 AM »
That's a pretty stunning capture David - intense flower colour and very pretty leaves- hope the cuttings take!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Salvias - Salvi thymoides
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2020, 02:27:02 PM »
I have posted about this plant before. It is a diminutive salvia but it is tough. Considering that it is native to cloud forest in Mexican mountains it does very well in my garden in Rome. It has some summer water but not every day. It has grown, or rather spread, since I bought it.  The tub it is in is overgrown. I am inclined to move the other plants and find S thymoides a new companion rather than vice versa. This is because the stems are so brittle. I only have to look at them and they snap (might have more to do with my face than the stems!).

Despite the fact that it has done so well for me, I cannot get cuttings to strike. Even a couple of stems that had rooted where they had touched the ground failed to take. I haven't noticed seeds before but I will look carefully this year.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2020, 06:44:23 PM »
David it is such a beautiful colour. I saw some in Athens but do not have one. Our Salvias are still not in full bloom. Only the supposedly difficult Amistad is looking great and it has done this since the Spring. I have Salvia seedlings come up and also some of the Salvias that aestivated . We just need the arrival of the rain.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2020, 11:04:48 AM »
I bought Salvia lycioides last autumn. It seemed to die over the winter, which it shouldn't have done as I read it is not herbaceous. In spring only one new stem came up but that has just produced its first flowers. I bought it because it is low growing and the branches flop. I wanted to get it to trail over the edges of pots. I have a few cuttings on the go and, if they take, I will experiment with it  in different settings next year.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2020, 04:57:05 PM »
They are lovely David. My Salvias which I ordered from Ioannis Gryllis apparently arrived in Cyprus in a container last Wednesday. I am expecting Yiannos to ring me any time. Ioannis apparently has not lebelled  them so it will be fun trying to identify them minus their flowers.

Charithea

« Reply #155 on: January 27, 2021, 03:04:18 PM »
I am posting the photo of our Salvia 'Amistad' which is still flowering.  It was a cutting of a cutting that struggled a bit in the pot in the heat of the summer so we experimented by putting it in the ground last summer. It has thrived and flowered continuously since then.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 04:46:34 PM by Charithea »

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2021, 08:39:54 AM »
That is beautiful Charithea - lovely colour. I lost mine so must try to get another.
Am keeping my fingers crossed for some of my more vulnerable ones after some sharp frosts recently. Top growth has darkened and shrivelled up but a thick layer of  fine gravel around the roots covered with fleece when the forecast is for minus temperatures will hopefully see them through. Also took cuttings of course in the summer but established plants that succumb leave sad gaps.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2021, 07:15:26 PM »
I agree with you Carole. I also  get upset when my cared for plants die. Regarding Salvias, I have now learnt to always take cuttings and give some away as a guarantee.  I have managed to propagate  Salvia madrensis from root cuttings and Salvia  Mexicana Lime light, Amistad and Love and Wishes from cuttings.  I have not had any luck with Salvia canariensis. My last one died. We have the seasonal ones that are spreading their large leaves all over the place but by the end of spring they will disappear.  The Salvia microphylla is impervious to the blaze of the sun. I am now waiting for some of the salvias that came from Ioannis Gryllis to flower.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2021, 08:34:38 AM »
David is my main source of new acquisitions and replacements - when we meet he never fails to give me copious amounts of both Salvias and other interesting plants. Such friendships with fellow MGS members are so appreciated so a public thank you to David and also the MGS🙏

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2021, 01:50:00 AM »
Me thinks that Umbrian doth praise too much! Not only do I also end up with new plants but I get wined and dined, taken to some beautiful gardens and introduced to new friends all into the bargain. Equally important is we have a good old natter and put the world to rights too. How different the world is once we've finished. What more could anyone ask for? And just for those who are wondering "what has all this got to do with Salvias?", watch this space for postings of the healthy cutting Umbrian gave me of Salvia azurea. I checked on it a couple of days ago and all looks well with ground level shoots just waiting for spring. Thanks Umbrian and to MGS for introducing us to each other.

Charithea

« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2021, 04:39:11 PM »
I am also happy that I became a member of MGS thanks to my husband.  We also made friends here and abroad which we treasure. Carole I also benefited from David' s generosity and I am posting a photo of two of the Salvias that are looking good together.   Of course I have more Salvias that came from David.  Yiannos Orphanos, another MGS member, has been providing me with plants.  Due to covid¬ 19 we have not met lately but whenever he acquires something new for the gardens he is creating,  he rings me to check if I would be interested.  My Salvia clevelandii , Salvia leucophylla' Midnight Blue' and others  are some of them. His reward are Lemon or Orange cakes which he shares with his workers. He informs me in advance to give me time to make them.  Yesterday packets of seeds arrived from my nephew who lives in Sydney.  The Salvia splendens in the photo is from Oct 2019 and it is growing and  still flowering.  Normally they only last the one season here.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 07:56:45 PM by Charithea »

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2021, 07:37:13 PM »
Ah! That explains why the seeds are upside down - they're from Australia ;D

Charithea

« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2021, 08:03:27 PM »
No, not any more. I am learning more about how to use this computer.  I bought it second hand. The keyboard has Scandinavian alphabet and it takes me ages to find the punctuation marks.  I have not yet figured it out why the photos come upside down.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #163 on: January 31, 2021, 08:52:45 AM »
The forging of new friendships is one of the aspects I most treasure about having a passion for plants and gardening and have found,over the years, that almost without exception gardeners are the most generous of people, always ready to share information and plants whenever possible.

Charithea

« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2021, 05:02:23 PM »
Here I am again with my favourite plants Salvias. I have taken some photos of the Salvia eigii.  Last year's seedlings reappeared and are growing fast and the two year old Salvia is getting ready to flower.  They take a lot of space with their large leaves but have such lovely flowers.  Sadly they disappear in the summer and leave gaps in the garden. There is also one of Salvia' Mystic Spires'. The Salvias from Diomede's Garden are also growing.  I am waiting for them to flower and have them identified. The other large Salvia with ever green leaves is doing fine.  I have forgotten its name.  Finally my only surviving  Salvia 'Bees Bliss' is getting ready to flower. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 05:13:12 PM by Charithea »