Salvias

• 232 Replies

psroseguy

• Email
Re: Salvias
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2019, 04:02:56 PM »
"What temperatures do you have psroseguy?"

We garden in an extreme microclimate. This region of California is described as a, "rain shadow desert". I don't think it would an exaggeration to say it's one of the warmest and driest regions on the planet.  We are hotter and drier than Arizona. I'll plagiarize Wikipedia here for expediency.

"Palm Springs has a hot desert climate, with over 300 days of sunshine and around 4.83 inches (122.7 mm) of rain annually.[96] The winter months are warm, with a majority of days reaching 70 °F (21 °C) and in January and February days often see temperatures of 80 °F (27 °C) and on occasion reach over 90 °F (32 °C), while, on average, there are 17 nights annually dipping to or below 40 °F (4 °C);[96] freezing temperatures occur in less than half of years. The lowest temperature recorded is 19 °F (−7 °C), on January 22, 1937.[97] Summer often sees daytime temperatures above 110 °F (43 °C) coupled with warm overnight lows remaining above 80 °F (27 °C). The mean annual temperature is 74.6 °F (23.7 °C). There are 180 days with a high reaching 90 °F (32 °C), and 100 °F (38 °C) can be seen on 116 days.[96] The highest temperature on record in Palm Springs is 123 °F (51 °C), most recently achieved on July 28 and 29, 1995.[98]"

It's not unusual for us to experience days or even weeks of temps between 45 and 51 degrees C. This said, I generally love it here. Summer nights are glorious and the Winters are legendary. We're largely a resort destination. Consequently, Summer shade is important and water conservation is important.

I could no doubt succeed with chamaedryoides were I willing to coddle it a bit more. I confess to largely being a lazy gardener at this point. My emphasis switched to roses years ago. I started as a child sowing seeds of annuals and collecting cactus and succulents. I used to breed birds and dogs but find losing them over time is too heartbreaking.

Lifelong Gardener, native Californian, residing in Rancho Mirage near Palm Springs, CA for the past 25 years

Retired from the nursery industry. I've been playing at hybridizing roses for fun and profit since about 2000. Graduate Horticulture program Cal Poly San Luis Obispo 1982.

Charithea

« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2019, 05:01:17 PM »
Wow! I shall stop complaining about our long  summer days of 40 + deg C . I believe we can all achieve some form of gardening if the desire is there. Obviously you are a born gardner. Welcome to the Forum.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

psroseguy

• Email
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2019, 07:16:07 PM »
Where do you garden Charithea?

These climactic differences are all relative aren't they?

I've had the opportunity to garden in a number of mediterranean style climates here in CA. They all have there advantages and disadvantages.

I find as I age that I don't handle cool weather as well as I used to. This climate is working for me for now.

Thank you for the kind welcome.  It's refreshing for me to think about other genera, see and have the opportunity, to get input from such a diverse group of horticulturists.

Robert
Lifelong Gardener, native Californian, residing in Rancho Mirage near Palm Springs, CA for the past 25 years

Retired from the nursery industry. I've been playing at hybridizing roses for fun and profit since about 2000. Graduate Horticulture program Cal Poly San Luis Obispo 1982.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2019, 06:43:26 AM »
Late flowering Salvias just coming into bloom with me - S elegans, S 'African Skies', S azurea to name a few. Such a welcome, fresh addition to the autumn garden when many things are beginning to look exhausted!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »
I  garden on the Eastern Mediterranean island of Cyprus. My favourite time in the garden is in the autumn and spring when our garden looks inviting. Here is the promised photo of Salvia 'Mystic Spires'.  Salvia elegans and a variety of  microphyllas are also in bloom.

psroseguy

• Email
« Reply #95 on: October 03, 2019, 05:07:24 PM »
Umbrian, those sound lovely.

I'm guessing your region is spectacular for perennials.

That's a beauty Charithea. I don't think I've seen that one here. I love the intensity of color.

I need to explore incorporating some blues into the mix here. I wish I were more brave in terms of experimentation with new sources.

Thanks, Robert
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 05:09:36 PM by psroseguy »

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Salvias Salvia x jamensis 'Shell Dancer'
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2019, 11:14:41 AM »
Despite the heavy rain we have been having for the last couple of weeks this salvia is still producing flowers. It is a recent buy so I still have to see how it will be over winter. It is similar in flower colour to S. 'Dyson's Joy' which I tried with but failed. The flowers are larger, though, and the leaves a bit fleshier. Or maybe that is just because it was pampered in a nursey? I hope I will be able to write again next spring with news that it has survived winter.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2019, 02:02:38 PM »
Lovely colour David. You have to give somebody a cutting as an insurence policy.  It works quite well for me and my 'neighbouring' gardener. She has more shade in her garden and seems successful with all her cuttings.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »
Is that 'Crazy Dolls' David? - awful name but a pretty colour combination on the flowers!  It seems the kind to overwinter OK to me but I only acquired mine this spring so no evidence yet.
It flowered well if not  prolifically all summer but of course it is still settling in.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2019, 11:41:21 AM »
Hi Umbrian,

Both Salvias come from the same parentage and breeder apparently (Suncrest) https://www.suncrestnurseries.com/index.php

I found the following information on https://www.fbts.com/salvia-x-jamensis-shell-dancer.html?utm_source=search&utm_medium=site_search&utm_campaign=3217

"Unlike Dancing Dolls, which has dark stems and calyxes, Shell Dancer has mid-green stems and calyxes." They mention the waxy appearance of the flowers on S. 'Shell Dancer' and they are right - it is an attractive feature.

The "Flowers by the Sea" web site looks like it could be a very useful information source re Salvias as well as a good supplier for those living in The United States https://www.fbts.com/

I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2019, 09:25:21 AM »
Thanks a lot David, for mentioning that Flowers by the Sea site, as you say looks very useful - their "blue tag" section might have some good prospects for our hot unwatered Greek garden which we find difficult for most of the salvias we like!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2019, 10:28:37 AM »
Salvia spathacea is a recent purchase and it is flowering in the pot!
Have to find somewhere suitable to plant it
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2019, 11:49:10 AM »
What a beauty. My one that I acquired from Lucca Italy, lasted for a few months. 

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2019, 01:50:30 AM »
I bought S. spathacea last spring and planted it out immediately. I was told it needed no summer watering and, having killed one the year before, I obeyed. It worked and there are now 7 little offshoots. I will have to wait until next spring to see if it has really settled in. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade. It had already flowered when I bought it and there were 7 seeds in the flower head. Lucky me!

Charithea

« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2019, 06:08:08 AM »
 David I am glad your Salvia spathecea/ is thriving. Quite a few of my imported plants died that year as it was exceptionally hot.  However, my Salvia madrensis seemed to survived and is now a big plant ready to flower.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 06:09:40 AM by Charithea »