Salvias

• 81 Replies

Charithea

Re: Salvias
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2018, 07:41:27 AM »
Hi Fermi. Your photos remind me how lucky we gardeners are.  There is always a 'flower' to cheer us up.  Even here, without rain as yet, we are enjoying the beautiful sight of Salvia leucantha, Salvia 'Anthony Parker and Salvia madrensis.They have proved to be great fighters.  Even our Salvia martinusborg has finely shown it's beauty.  Some are struggling but they are there.  New seeds have been sown and expectations are there for more resilient varieties to establish themselves.  Thank you once more for the pleasure your photos bring.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2018, 08:14:18 AM »
Beautiful Fermi, looks like a really stout shrubby variety and the Pomegranite provides a good backdrop.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2018, 01:08:43 PM »
This is Salvia canariensis f candidissima which we got a couple of years ago from Lambley Nursery.
6 weeks later it has started to flower
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2018, 07:36:59 PM »
Lovely Fermi.  I hope my seeds of it germinate and grow this year.  I have put them direct in the ground.  This spring the seeds in the pots did badly so I am experimenting again.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2018, 02:49:15 AM »
Oh dear. Why am I such a sucker for Salvias? I have no more room in my very small garden. But seeing there were new postings in this thread I opened it. However, being old and stupid, I clicked on the first page instead of the latest and was lead to postings by Richard T, Paul T, Mike and Fleur. Instead of saying to myself "No! Enough is enough, is enough, is enough!! I found myself checking if Salvia Chamaedryoides and  S. chionophylla are available at my favourite Salvia website www.leessenzedilea.com And they are :-(
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2018, 11:42:32 AM »
Hi David,
the good thing is that Salvia chamaedryoides, though it can become quite wide because of suckering, can be kept within bounds by judicious pruning. Where it has room to spread it can form a cloud of ethereal blue through the early summer
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:57:29 AM by Fermi »
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2018, 01:42:02 AM »
Your photos are telling me that this will be added to my garden next spring. I have a paler blue Salvia, "African Skies", (attached photo) but I like the colour of Salvia chamaedryoides more and the plant seems to have a nicer shape. I read that it is frost tolerant too so sounds like a plant for me. Thanks Fermi.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.