Salvias

• 232 Replies

Charithea

Re: Salvias
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2018, 07:41:27 AM »
Hi Fermi. Your photos remind me how lucky we gardeners are.  There is always a 'flower' to cheer us up.  Even here, without rain as yet, we are enjoying the beautiful sight of Salvia leucantha, Salvia 'Anthony Parker and Salvia madrensis.They have proved to be great fighters.  Even our Salvia martinusborg has finely shown it's beauty.  Some are struggling but they are there.  New seeds have been sown and expectations are there for more resilient varieties to establish themselves.  Thank you once more for the pleasure your photos bring.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2018, 08:14:18 AM »
Beautiful Fermi, looks like a really stout shrubby variety and the Pomegranite provides a good backdrop.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2018, 01:08:43 PM »
This is Salvia canariensis f candidissima which we got a couple of years ago from Lambley Nursery.
6 weeks later it has started to flower
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Charithea

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2018, 07:36:59 PM »
Lovely Fermi.  I hope my seeds of it germinate and grow this year.  I have put them direct in the ground.  This spring the seeds in the pots did badly so I am experimenting again.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2018, 02:49:15 AM »
Oh dear. Why am I such a sucker for Salvias? I have no more room in my very small garden. But… seeing there were new postings in this thread I opened it. However, being old and stupid, I clicked on the first page instead of the latest and was lead to postings by Richard T, Paul T, Mike and Fleur. Instead of saying to myself "No! Enough is enough, is enough, is enough!! I found myself checking if Salvia Chamaedryoides and  S. chionophylla are available at my favourite Salvia website www.leessenzedilea.com And they are :-(
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2018, 11:42:32 AM »
Hi David,
the good thing is that Salvia chamaedryoides, though it can become quite wide because of suckering, can be kept within bounds by judicious pruning. Where it has room to spread it can form a cloud of ethereal blue through the early summer
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:57:29 AM by Fermi »
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2018, 01:42:02 AM »
Your photos are telling me that this will be added to my garden next spring. I have a paler blue Salvia, "African Skies", (attached photo) but I like the colour of Salvia chamaedryoides more and the plant seems to have a nicer shape. I read that it is frost tolerant too so sounds like a plant for me. Thanks Fermi.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2019, 11:40:57 AM »
Our Salvia mexicana 'Limelight' are in flower again. They really do seem to glow in the sun.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #83 on: September 24, 2019, 06:34:12 AM »
That's a real beauty John - such lovely contrasting colours.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #84 on: September 24, 2019, 09:18:17 AM »
I have a lot of large bins which I use as planters and I am experimenting with plants which will hang over and cover the sides. A recent addition is Salvia chionophylla, a trailing salvia. It now has its first flower. I am hoping it will thicken up over autumn as there are lots of new leaf buds emerging along the stems.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Salvias Brenthurst
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2019, 09:50:07 AM »
Lots of new seedlings sprang up around the garden just before summer. They looked Savia-like but I couldn't imagine which. Looking at the Salvias I had I wondered if they were hybrids. It turns out that they are Salvia coccinea 'Brenthurst'. One of the seedlings is next to the parent plants. You can see that the leaves are 3 times bigger and darker green in the offspring. It is true that the parent plants are in a smaller pot and this is the second year having over-wintered in the same pot but all of the new seedlings are much bigger than their parents. Some new seedlings have come up in tiny plastic cups that I use for germinating seeds and they are still noticeably bigger. The only other salvias I have with large leaves are S, guaranatica types. An unlikely combination for hybridisation and anyway the flowers are pure 'Brenthurst'

First picture shows the 2 plants side by side and the second 2 leaves compared.

psroseguy

• Email
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2019, 03:25:05 PM »
I've been able to keep chamaedryoides happy only for relatively shot periods of time. It's one of my favorites but I fear our climate here is too extreme to keep it flourishing long term. That electric blue color is really striking.

Coccinea is the only one that seems to find a way to survive long term here. It arrived as a volunteer years ago and has managed to eek out a living where it can access irrignation ever since. The Hummingbirds love it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 03:44:23 PM by psroseguy »
Lifelong Gardener, native Californian, residing in Rancho Mirage near Palm Springs, CA for the past 25 years

Retired from the nursery industry. I've been playing at hybridizing roses for fun and profit since about 2000. Graduate Horticulture program Cal Poly San Luis Obispo 1982.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2019, 07:04:36 AM »
With me Salvia 'Brenthurst' is a prolific self seeder but never never with bigger leaves as you have described David. It is very useful for transplanting into bare spaces where, within a very short time , it rewards with weeks of flowers. This year I had one red seedling suddenly burst into flower - since I have never bought a red Salvia coccinea I can only assume that somehow it derived from my Brenthurst????

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2019, 07:07:58 AM »
What temperatures do you have psroseguy? or is it other conditions that prevent Salvias succeeding with you?

Charithea

« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2019, 02:27:50 PM »
Hello. Salvia coccinea and  ' S. Brenthurst.have settled down here. In fact they self seed everywhere. I had to pull out some of the coccineas from some pots as they took over. I of course took the precaution of collecting seeds and I am growing them in a pot and also in places where others don't grow.  My seasonal Salvias have already started putting out leaves. The first one is Salvia hierosolymitana . My Guaraniticas have suffered badly.  We are trying to find more suitable areas to replant them. The Salvia 'Mystic Spires' is a gem. It is in the sun most of the day and yet it thrives. I have a photo but I must minimise it on my computer. I shall post it later.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 06:03:38 PM by Charithea »