Salvias

• 154 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Salvias
« Reply #150 on: October 22, 2020, 07:25:32 AM »
That's a pretty stunning capture David - intense flower colour and very pretty leaves- hope the cuttings take!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Salvias - Salvi thymoides
« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2020, 02:27:02 PM »
I have posted about this plant before. It is a diminutive salvia but it is tough. Considering that it is native to cloud forest in Mexican mountains it does very well in my garden in Rome. It has some summer water but not every day. It has grown, or rather spread, since I bought it.  The tub it is in is overgrown. I am inclined to move the other plants and find S thymoides a new companion rather than vice versa. This is because the stems are so brittle. I only have to look at them and they snap (might have more to do with my face than the stems!).

Despite the fact that it has done so well for me, I cannot get cuttings to strike. Even a couple of stems that had rooted where they had touched the ground failed to take. I haven't noticed seeds before but I will look carefully this year.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2020, 06:44:23 PM »
David it is such a beautiful colour. I saw some in Athens but do not have one. Our Salvias are still not in full bloom. Only the supposedly difficult Amistad is looking great and it has done this since the Spring. I have Salvia seedlings come up and also some of the Salvias that aestivated . We just need the arrival of the rain.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #153 on: November 02, 2020, 11:04:48 AM »
I bought Salvia lycioides last autumn. It seemed to die over the winter, which it shouldn't have done as I read it is not herbaceous. In spring only one new stem came up but that has just produced its first flowers. I bought it because it is low growing and the branches flop. I wanted to get it to trail over the edges of pots. I have a few cuttings on the go and, if they take, I will experiment with it  in different settings next year.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0C. Summer temperatures up to 40C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2020, 04:57:05 PM »
They are lovely David. My Salvias which I ordered from Ioannis Gryllis apparently arrived in Cyprus in a container last Wednesday. I am expecting Yiannos to ring me any time. Ioannis apparently has not lebelled  them so it will be fun trying to identify them minus their flowers.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.