Viola IDd by Mike as V. heldreichii

• 4 Replies

JTh

• Email
Viola IDd by Mike as V. heldreichii
« on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:43 PM »
Here is another tiny viola which was seen on the trip to Antalya, Turkey last year, I thought it was V. kitaibeliana, but I am not sure, i would be happy to if you could tell me, Mike.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:08:05 PM by Alisdair »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Viola
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:57:55 AM »
Jorun,

With these miniature-flowered pansies, in Turkey, there are four main candidates: Viola kitaibeliana, heldreichii, parvula and occulta. (In Cyprus V. heldreichii is represented by V. rauliniana, which Meikle in the 'Flora of Cyprus' had as V. heldreichiana).

I would go with V. heldreichii - as seen, identified and photographed by Oron in Antalya region last year (perhaps on the same trip?) - http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5366.0

These tiny pansies really take some looking for, at least until you get your eye in; they are often smaller than the stones they may be growing amongst. Hands and knees required, and probably bum in the air while photographing!

For reference:
- The Plant List is unclear on the names Vv. heldreichiana/heldreichii
- Some Viola photos in Alper Ertubey's Flora of Turkey, incl. V. heldreichiana
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:04:18 AM »
Thank you, Mike, I am pleased to finally having the correct name.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:24:09 AM »
As Mike says you often have to get close to the ground for wild flower photography. As you can see from JTh's own portrait she is a ground dwelling photographer.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »
As you know, I am not a very upright person when it comes to photographing plants. The body is a very good tripod in that position.