Buddleja

• 19 Replies

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Buddleja
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 09:53:21 PM »
Looks very healthy, John.
Funnily enough, I passed one of these in Tala today. It was among a densely shrubby area, but in full flower it still took my attention momentarily while I was driving.
//Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2020, 02:42:58 AM »
My Buddleja madagascariensis flowers all winter too so it is a useful plant for a little bit of colour over the coldest months. When it is warmer and sunnier during the winter, the Red Admirals like to come out of hibernation and head straight to it for a little sustenance.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 02:24:49 PM »
A Red Admiral arrived just on cue today - albeit on a dead flower of Buddleja madagascariensis (Photo not top quality but you get the idea :-))
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 09:42:46 PM »
I mentioned in another thread that some plants are struggling this year. All of my buddlejas have been attacked by red spider mite. I am pretty certain that I will see no regrowth from 'Miss Ruby'. I have a cutting and an almost identical and better flowering overgrown Buddleja 'Buzz' (supposedly a patio form but just as tall as the others). So I shouldn't be too worried. But I don't like losing plants.

A cutting from 'Black Knight' will probably take 'Miss Ruby's" place and should look good with the white lantana I recently bought. 'Black Knight is currently with a yellow bidens. This is the second flower 'Black Knight' has produced despite being a new cutting this year. And also despite the fact that in my clumsiness I snapped it almost back to ground level earlier this year. It too has Red Spider Mite but Neem oil seems to be working.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2020, 09:53:01 PM »
I should have written above that all of my buddlejas except B madagascariensis are suffering with Red Spider Mite. B madagascariensis always does very well for me and gives winter flowers.