Shrubby jasmines

• 6 Replies

John

Shrubby jasmines
« on: October 06, 2011, 03:53:19 PM »
Jasminum sambac, in it's single form, is just flowering for me in the conservatory. It's an evergreen shrub, which can be a climber apparently, with private like leaves which are rather dull but the scent is wonderful.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:05:30 PM by Alisdair »
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Jasminum
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »
Jasminum sambac does quite well in our hot Greek garden, where the leaves actually look rather good and glossy. The original plant which does probably get some water from nearby weekly-irrigated orange trees is several years old, growing and/or clipped back as quite a compact shrub a little more than a metre high and wide, rather than a climber. So far young plants are now managing through the summer without water (but I'm not yet convinced of their long-term prospects!). Very fragrant. It's the classic flower for jasmine tea.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:05:52 PM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 07:06:34 AM »
I planted a Jasminum sambac about 10 years ago against the south facing wall of our house, the warmest and most protected spot available. Each year it grows to about 1m in height but has never flowered and is cut to the ground each winter despite being given extra fleecy protection. The yearly growth looks very healthy, the leaves bright and shiny but obviously I am never going to be rewarded with any of the beautifully scented flowers. :'( Nice to see the photo though John! :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:38:14 PM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Marilyn

• Waterwise Gardens
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 11:23:08 PM »
Oh lovely! I bought one of these on Saturday. Anybody growing it in a pot? Hoping that it will work as a scent-on-the-balcony plant. If not it will go into the garden to join its twin.
I work in hotel and private gardens, promoting sustainable landscape management in the mediterranean climate through the use of diverse, beautiful and appropriate plants. At home, I garden on two balconies containing mostly succulents.

John

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 11:42:52 PM »
Ours is in a pot.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

David Bracey

• Email
Jasminum fruticans
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »
J fruticans is the only jasmine native to the Mediterranean Basin.  Not where near as showy or as tall as J nudiflorum but a reliable plant for spring flowers.  I think it would lend itself to close clipping to form a low hedge or barrier.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 06:46:52 PM by Alisdair »
MGS member.

I have gardened in sub-tropical Florida, maritime UK, continental Europe and the Mediterranean basin, France. Of the 4 I have found that the most difficult climate for gardening is the latter.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Jasminum nudiflorum
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
For a picture of this drought-hardy shrub flowering on Christmas Day, see Umbrian's post in the Our Gardens Month by Month section, by clicking here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 10:37:56 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society